old Motobecane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi folks - sorry I'm a bit all over the place with this. I posted a new thread in special interests, then a post in what have you fettled today, and now a new thread here. I don't intend starting anywhere else - except possibly some photos!

Anyway I've found a 30 year old steel bike, a Motobecane Sprint, which has been up my loft for at least 20 years. I'm extraordinarily pleased with it, and want to get it going as soon as possible to check fit and ride before deciding on its long-term future.

I might add guards and use it as a commuter/ town bike though, if guards fit.

I've changed the tubes, cleaned and regreased the wheel bearings, removed and greased the front calliper and all I need is a couple of track nuts for the front wheel now. The chain seems okay, though I can't believe how prominent the joining pins are compared with modern flush ones. It has been cleaned and will be oiled along with the two mechs and pivot points before riding it.

The back wheel has plastic sleeves in the dropouts, was in squint and the tyre had been rubbing on one of the stays. I discovered a little wheel on the plastic sleeves, which adjusts them, and I've been able to centre it.

The tyres seem very good, Michelin Selects. They've been stored on wheels, on their sides all this time, so no flat spots.

Is there anything else I should do before risking life and limb?

Norm

I would have a good close look at the tyres. Whilst storing them on their sides is good to avoid flat spots, a loft gets very hot when the sun is out and very cold when it isn't, and that temperature variation will have had an effect on the rubber. I would take the tyres off and flex them considerably whilst looking for any small cracks in the carcass. They might look ok but hitting a pothole when there is 100psi in them will put a lot of pressure into a very small area of side-wall.

You don't mention the bottom bracket. When I resurrected an old bike, that was the only thing which I needed to change other than the tyres. Almost everything else was just cleaned and lubed, as you say.

As an aside, how the heck did you get it into your loft? I can barely get myself through our loft hatch, there's no way a bike would fit! Although, thinking about it, my Mum's loft is accessed through a small door built into the converted bedroom, so maybe you've something like that. Either way, it sounds like it is crying out for a Scalextric / train set, now you've got the bike out. :thumbsup:^_^

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Hi Norm thanks.
The tyres have been off to replace the tubes and they appear to be very good. They are those old fashioned ones with yellow side wall and black tread. I got it in my loft because we made a bigger hatch and installed a pulldown loft ladder. It was just big enough to get the bike up and down with the front wheel removed. That might have been part of the problem though, and explains why its been missing for 20 years, because everything else went up my loft as well.

The bottom bracket seems to be in very good condition, as does the headset.

I've hit my first snag though - I can't get tracknuts for the front wheel.

Neither Edinburgh bike nor Halfords have them, I think they're 8mm nuts. I bought some 8 mm self locking nuts from Halfords, but they don't fit because the threads are different. The axle has quite a narrow thread on it.

James

Norm

A new axle should be fairly easy to sort, and worth while for a decent old bike. The tyres on mine are Michelin World Tour in 27 1/4 - I bet you've got something similar. :thumbsup:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Some useful general info on this page about old French bikes. I love my Pug, but odd things like the 24mm seatpost can be frustrating.

i really wouldn't trust the tyres even if they do look good: being stored in wildly varying temperatures for twenty years will have caused the rubber to degrade. (Basic) tyres are so cheap and so crucial that it simply isn't worth taking a chance. You can get them in the same style as what you have, if you want to keep the look.

I'd also change everything else rubber: you mentioned you put new tubes in, so that just leaves the brake blocks; another cheap but vital item.

While I was at it, I'd be inclined to change the cables and chain: not as vital as good tyres and brakes, but they're cheap consumables whose failure will be, at best, inconvenient and at worst the cause of an accident.

Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy her: every mile on the Pug is even more satisfying for having saved and refurbished her!

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Well - I've finally got it going.
I bought a new axle, then found it difficult to get it between the forks. I had to open them up slightly.The brakes were a bit fiddly to set-up, but once I adjusted the nut they seem fine. I've just done a couple of miles as a trial, before it grew dark and it seems ok. Gearing is higher than I'm used to, 52/40 with a 14-28, changing from the downtube is more fiddly than I remembered, and the position seemed a bit strange. Riding on the hoods felt awkward, but the drops seemed better. The saddle feels hard.

HovR

Über Member
Riding on the hoods felt awkward, but the drops seemed better.

Strange, this is how I felt when I first got my Dawes (in my display pic) back up and running after 20 + years of storage, however now I primarily use the hoods.

Oh, and there is one thing this thread is missing.. Pics! :tongue:

Edited for clarity.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Well I've done about 40 miles now, and apart from a bit of brake judder and a lack of sensitivity with the downtube shifters it's going well. I have become used to just wapping the sti lever across and had forgotten how you needed to finesse these things.

My camera has been out on loan and I finally got it back today so here are some photos. Not the best because it was evening and had begun to get dull, but here they are.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/Nebulous_photos/IMG_1020.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/Nebulous_photos/IMG_1023.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/Nebulous_photos/IMG_1025.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/Nebulous_photos/IMG_1026.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/Nebulous_photos/IMG_1028.jpg

I forgot to say - boy is that saddle hard. My erse is pretty hardy, it takes to most saddles, but that one will test it to the limit!

Top Bottom