Old Newbie!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baxtgk

Hi all,

I have looked at the other threads and there is some great advice on here for a beginner like myself. I am in my 30's and looking to get a bike to commute to work to assist with (hopefully!) decreasing my expanding waistline!!

It will be a 12mile round trip, mostly on roads or canal paths. I am quite clueless in which bike to get but have a budget of around £250. I have looked in Halfords and a few independent stores and was interested in this:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...le-limited-edition-mens-27-5-hybrid-bike-2015

As I said I am a complete beginner so any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!!

arch684

Veteran
Have a look at decathlon to.They have some good bikes in your price range

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome:
You call yourself old? :giggle:
Try to test ride a few bikes before purchase.
Halfords have a poor reputation in bike assembly, if you decide to buy from them better get it in the box and have your lbs (local bike shop) assemble it.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC.
I tried your link and it came up with a blank page with "Bad Request" written at the top.
I would have a look at Decathlon before heading to Halfords.

What sort of bike are you after? Drop bar bike or a flat bar. I have a drop bar bike that would easily cope with towpaths etc, which is why I ask.

If you are in your 30s and consider yourself old, I'll just go out the back and shoot myself then as I must be positively ancient and decrepit. You are a youngster around here.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would look hard at a slightly used one at that price, as the quality and components will be better.

Last used bike I brought the chap had paid about £650 with extras, he asked me £350 10 months later.

Ganymede

Veteran
30s definitely isn't old! It's a great time to take up cycling and get fit. Welcome!

Good time for buying bikes too due to the sales!

OP
OP
B

baxtgk

Hi,

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I meant I was an old starter to be getting back on a bike, not old in age!! I haven't owned a bike since I was about 15 so long overdue!!

I have a Decathlon not far from me so will have a look tomorrow.

@screenman, any ideas on where the best place is to start to look for a used bike?

@Saluki, I was looking at a flat bar to start with.

Dave7

Legendary Member
It will be a 12mile round trip, mostly on roads or canal paths. I am quite clueless in which bike to get but have a budget of around £250. I have looked in Halfords and a few independent stores and was interested in this:
I think the general "design" of the bike is ideal for what you say* you want. As Halford blurb says.........the 27.5" wheels will allow reasonable road travel and be great for paths.
*However what you need to decide is just what % will be on the roads i.e. if its, say, 95% then go for a more road type bike (narrower/bigger wheels).
As others have said........a good 2nd hand bike is always better that a bad new one and ebay/gumtree are full of bikes at your price range.

Top Bottom