Old parts available.... or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As someone who in a past life ran old cars with trade access, IME main dealers have little interest in supporting older vehicles. I imagine the dwindling demand for work at eye-watering labour rates from people with old, low-value cars makes it unattractive to keep a lot of stuff for such vehicles cars.

Hence, as time marches on and the finite supply of OEM bits are used up, the burden increasingly falls onto the aftermarket for parts supply. IIRC manufactures are obliged by law to ensure parts are available for up to 10yrs after the vehicle has ceased production. From running VWs that were maybe 10-15yrs old at the time, availability of consumables / basic mech. parts was good, more esoteric / less common stuff like model-specific trim and body rubbers etc not so much.

Back to the OP's question - tbh I'd not expect a dealer to carry OEM parts for a 35-year old car, nor have any interest in doing so. It may be that they're willing to do the work as they'll make a margin in labour fitting aftermarket parts that they source elsewhere, but would obviously make very little if supplying the parts alone.

Drago

Legendary Member
They're obliged by a Gentleman's Agreement rather than law for the 10 year rule, but most do adhere to it. Some, particularly Volvo and especially Mercedes, take it to the extreme - Mercedes will supply any part for any car they've made since the 50's, the only provisio being you might need a remortgage to pay for certain items.

Top Bottom