Old Peugeot steerer size.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shiner

Hi All. I'm restoring a 1988 Peugeot HLE Premiere. Not a priceless classic but a nice bike anyway. I have no forks. Can anyone tell me the precise diameter of the steering tube? Frame head tube internal dia is 30mm. Local bike shop reckons it's a 1" steerer, I'm sure it would be a metric size. Please help, the weather is improving and I can't wait to get out there. Thanks!

midlife

Guru
In metric I guess that's 25.4 mm :smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
1" (see big caveat below) is the outside diameter of the steerer. The internal diameter of the head tube may be 30.0mm or, more likely, 30.2mm (it sometimes matters; a 30.0mm cup is too loose in a 30.2mm head tube, although the reverse works ok).

The other key dimension is the crown race seat diameter, which may be 26.4mm or 27.0mm. These are in no way interchangeable.

27.0 goes with 30.0 (JIS headset)
26.4 goes with 30.2 (ISO headset)

Older Raleigh bikes are dimensioned like JIS but the fork is threaded at 26tpi rather than the usual 24tpi. They are an absolute pain to deal with.

Because it involves removing metal, an annoying JIS frameset, generally found with cheaper bikes, can be easily converted to ISO with the correct reamers.

Big Caveat:

Some older French bikes have their own, totally metric, system. The steerer is 25.0mm with a 1mm thread pitch. If you have one of these, you need an actual "French" headset, not ISO or JIS.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
1984 is a date I found for the Peugeot changeover but it varied according to the market in which the bike was sold. Some were ISO a lot earlier, and the odd one had Swiss threading!

By 1988 you would be unlucky to find French threading on a Peugeot, unless it was NOS and had been sat in the shop for years.

Top Bottom