Old Raleigh Pioneers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djungelskog

Hey peeps,

got a steal for these two old Raleigh pioneers from an old couple who wanted to sell them on. I’d like to do the men’s one up a bit and could do with some help on what stem size/handle bar width might be advised for such an old bike, I’m 5’10 normal weight etc etc, anything you might think I should know to help me on my journey would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
2E85D71F-E0EF-40BF-B97A-331D4412BD0D.jpeg

Attachments

• 26E652D8-1804-44DA-857A-2A421AF44DDE.jpeg
    26E652D8-1804-44DA-857A-2A421AF44DDE.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 19

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome: You might get more replies if you repost this thread in the projects or classic bikes sections.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You'll find they are popular but not worth much I'm afraid. Miner's the top of the range version but still only worth £50.

It's a quill stem rather than an a-head so you would need and adaptor for modern bars.

Those two look decent enough, but if 10 speed world be £20-40 each.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That frame might be a little on the small side fo you at 5’10 but give it a try and see. It’s got quite a long stem to give a ‘sit up and beg‘ position so might work. You can adjust the saddle so your leg is more or less straight at the six o clock position of the pedal.
Check the tyres for perishing. You’ll need new cables and housings all round. Are those steel or aluminium rims?
These Pioneers are good basic machines. Let us know how you get on.

:welcome: to the forum.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Stem should be 22.2mm but check just in case normally stamped on it by the wedge area
As for what size bars it's for again measure
Like I posted earlier Raleigh did some funny things with their fork steerer tube sizes (so headsets and stems) I think they did it so you could only buy Raleigh spares for those (Nottingham built bikes) but not all of them

T4tomo

Legendary Member
rather than mess around with new stem / bars on a £50 bike, you can rotate the bars so the "riser" becomes negative rise if its too upright at the moment (which it would be for me). You'll obviously need to rotate the brake and shifters too:okay:

Top Bottom