Old Raleigh - what size spanner for bottom bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ross basham

Hi Everyone,

My mums old Raleigh city bike has rattley pedals and the source of the problem is a loose bottom bracket. I have tightened it by hand but need to buy the correct size spanner for the job. I have measured it and believe it's 38mm. Does this sound like a regular size spanner for this part? Don't want to get it wrong and be stuck with the spanner. An adjustable spanner does not fit behind the cog and my socket set does not fit in the space around the nut in order to take the arm and cog off. Very annoying.

Picture attached. So does anyone know if this is likely to be 38mm spanner size?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200730_174807.jpg
    20200730_174807.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 68

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The bottom bracket itself might be worn and need replacement so you’ll need to remove the cranks to check, so you’ll need a crank extractor. Not seen that type of fitting for the end caps before.

Sharky

Guru
For a job like this, if you are not sure what needs to be replaced and you don't have the right tools, I would take it to your LBS and let them do it. The cost won't be that different if you have to buy the tools as well.

OP
OP
R

ross basham

Hhhhmmmmm ok, thanks! I am confident to do the job as I have replaced bottom brackets using crank extractor etc before, I have road bike tools, just not tools for this bike. I think the BB just needs tightening. Maybe I'll take it to a LBS and ask.
Thanks everyone!

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have just removed the drive side of a BB in a 1990s Raleigh and that needed a 36mm. I have a 12" spanner with 36/40 one end and 30/32 the other.
So maybe measure again. This BB is going to need a clean out and regrease anyway, so find a thin-walled socket and get the crank off. Then the adjustable will be fine. Socket much cheaper than a spanner.

DRM

Guru
I have just removed the drive side of a BB in a 1990s Raleigh and that needed a 36mm. I have a 12" spanner with 36/40 one end and 30/32 the other.
So maybe measure again. This BB is going to need a clean out and regrease anyway, so find a thin-walled socket and get the crank off. Then the adjustable will be fine. Socket much cheaper than a spanner.
^this, i've just done a Raleigh with a wobbly BB, turned out one set of bearings had collapsed

OP
OP
R

ross basham

Excellent, cheers Ajax! That sounds like a great plan, will take that advice and run with it. Thank you!

OP
OP
R

ross basham

^this, i've just done a Raleigh with a wobbly BB, turned out one set of bearings had collapsed

Will definitely have a poke around while everything is off. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom