Old school I know, but how do they work ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
One of lifes mysteries. Like :- how does a bee fly when by all the laws of flight, it cant
:- If flies cant fly upside down, how do they land on ceilings
:- there is a New Zealand, where the hell is Zealand
and wot I really want to know.....How do self extracting crank bolts work ? Please

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Denmark

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One of lifes mysteries. Like :- how does a bee fly when by all the laws of flight, it cant
:- If flies cant fly upside down, how do they land on ceilings
and wot I really want to know.....How do self extracting crank bolts work ? Please
Stop flapping their wings, flip over and coast in? :whistle:

Oldspice

Flys
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholloday/2004-02-12-wonderquest_x.htm

"Houseflies cannot fly upside down..." says the Science Museum of Minnesota.
They can, however, land upside down by doing a quick "pitch up", says Michael Dickinson, bioengineering professor at California Institute of Technology. Flying right side up, feet dangling, a fly nears a ceiling. She sticks her front two feet out and grabs on. Then she swings her back four legs up like a trapeze artist and sticks them on the ceiling. She grips the surface, ready for a 6-legged stroll, upside down, of course.
Flies have two short strong wings and a huge middle section packed with wing muscles. Three groups of tiny gyroscopes and sense organs placed at right angles to one another tell a fly his speed, his rate of turn, and whether he's being blow off course.
Dickinson tests flies in the lab with a flyswatter like device. "The flies jump so quickly to evade the swatter that they temporarily lose control and flip head-over-heels." Then they quickly jump back upright as their sophisticated gyros kick in.
Fruit flies can turn 90 degrees in 50-thousands of a second. That's ten times faster than the human eye blinks.
Many flies can hover like a hummingbird, spin about their axis like a bullet, zip through spaces little wider than their wingspan, land on ceilings, and even fly backwards. But they don't fly upside down.

Self extracting crank bolts
Just undo the bolt and then when it presses against the ring/cap keep undoing and it will force the crank off.

the crank bolt is captive - usually partly covered by a threaded sleeve, so that when you unwind it, the sleeve prevents the bolt from extracting on its own - thereby pulling the crank with it. There's probably a clip on youtube....

Norm

I think you will find its Holland, but wot about these crank bolts ?
No, it is definitely Denmark, Zeeland is in the Netherlands.

And the crank bolt cannot undo beyond a certain point and, at that point, it starts acting as an extractor.

asterix

Comrade Member
Flys
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/aprilholloday/2004-02-12-wonderquest_x.htm

"Houseflies cannot fly upside down..." says the Science Museum of Minnesota.
They can, however, land upside down by doing a quick "pitch up", says Michael Dickinson, bioengineering professor at California Institute of Technology. Flying right side up, feet dangling, a fly nears a ceiling. She sticks her front two feet out and grabs on. Then she swings her back four legs up like a trapeze artist and sticks them on the ceiling. She grips the surface, ready for a 6-legged stroll, upside down, of course.
Flies have two short strong wings and a huge middle section packed with wing muscles. Three groups of tiny gyroscopes and sense organs placed at right angles to one another tell a fly his speed, his rate of turn, and whether he's being blow off course.
Dickinson tests flies in the lab with a flyswatter like device. "The flies jump so quickly to evade the swatter that they temporarily lose control and flip head-over-heels." Then they quickly jump back upright as their sophisticated gyros kick in.
Fruit flies can turn 90 degrees in 50-thousands of a second. That's ten times faster than the human eye blinks.
Many flies can hover like a hummingbird, spin about their axis like a bullet, zip through spaces little wider than their wingspan, land on ceilings, and even fly backwards. But they don't fly upside down.

So how do they learn? I have never seen one fly being taught by another.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm more inclined to believe the wiki version. Discovered by Abel Tasman , a Dutchman. New Zealand, named Nova Zeelandia by Dutch cartographers after the Dutch province of Zeeland, later anglicised to New Zealand by Captain Cook..

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Norm, and Black and yellow, I THANKYOU. As they say, the best ideas are the simple ideas. Now that you have explained the process, it makes perfect sense I have trawled round youtube and asked Jeeves with alot of different criteria and I couldnt find anything explaining the process. My enquiry was based on wether they could be removed without removing the crank arm, and your explanations suggest they cant, neither are they a tool free option, as alot are described. Again Thanks alot. I will leave the debate about flies, bees and Zealand to those with more knowledge on the subject than mine. Cheers f'now !

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm more inclined to believe the wiki version. Discovered by Abel Tasman , a Dutchman. New Zealand, named Nova Zeelandia by Dutch cartographers after the Dutch province of Zeeland, later anglicised to New Zealand by Captain Cook..
- New Zealand is really in Wiltshire anyway :laugh:

Top Bottom