Old school Technics hifi kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I`m not an expert on hi-fi matters, but am looking a building up a vintage Technics set up (mid 80`s ish), been looking around and seen some very nice looking additions to the system, but how does it perform? Anybody else got any similar kit/experiences.

I fancy a proper "bells and whistles" system that makes it feel like I`m putting some music on, not just listening to it through a computeripod etc

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've had Tecnics stuff in the past, cassette player and turntable, it was always pretty good as far as I can recall.

drummerbod

As hifi goes Technics is bottom end.

80's kit - it's hard to find anything that doesn't need servicing...
Amps - as the capacitors are 30+ years old they quite often need replacing as you will hear buzzing in one or both channels. Caps deteriote over time.
Turntables\cassette decks - belts

Try gumtree and look for the likes of Arcam for amps. Solid built british amps. You may have to look around for a while.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
SL1210 and SL1200 turntables are pretty rugged direct drive, but Imho vastly overpriced unless you intend to mix records or scratch. That said if you intend to cut it up on the decks they are the industry standard and for most nothing else will do.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This site may be of use.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...KFI3btveBTERlASsK_7JCAw&bvm=bv.97653015,d.ZGU

As others have posted the 1200/1210 turntables are excellent but they are a 'live chassis' type so need isolating from vibration, as for the rest of their kit the cassette decks were OK and the Amps much of a muchness for Japanese kit (I was a Pioneer man back in the 80s)
Some stuff does come up from time to time though but it probably needs a good overhaul to replace capacitors and clean up oxidised 'tracks' on volume and tone 'pots'.
These days I use a QUAD 44 Pre-Amp and 2 QUAD 303 Poweramps (made in Huntingdon) which is genuine quality retro kit (the poweramps were made between 1967-78/79 when they were replaced by the 405 or in my setup I'd need a pair of 405s and the 44 was launched in the late 70s)

Spike on a bike

Über Member
Gosh is my technics stuff that old ?

I was looking to find a Bluetooth adapter to plug in since my fav radio station has gone from dab to online only

Still loud enough to annoy the neighbours and Mrs so that's the main thing :-)

I've got an old NAD 3020, great sound but one channel is fading and you can't get it repaired as the stuff simply doesn't exist anymore, which is the only drawback when old stuff goes wrong.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had a Technics all through the 80's and 90's. Bought it in 85 with my birthday money from my 21st. It was not cheap but it was a great bit of kit and lasted right up until 2007 when we had a flood and it failed to swim. Water poured down the improperly sorted out removed chimney breast and onto my beloved old Technics.
I have a new Technics now and I love that nearly as much. Sony turntable though as I couldn't get the insurance company to find me a technics. However, I will change that for something better at some point in time.

mustang1

Guru
I used to blast my nakamichi tape deck thru a bin at one amp.*

*none of the above occurred.

My dad had a Sony setup which came with Sony APM-22ES loudspeakers which I believe received a bit of a cult following. He had the two way model. Later in Hong Kong we spotted a 3 way model. Some people mentioned NAD and Arcam above who used to make great kit (and I think still do?).

Op: if you want Technics, go with it. I'd love to see a photo once you're all set up with it.

I used to blast my nakamichi tape deck thru a bin at one amp.*

*none of the above occurred.

My dad had a Sony setup which came with Sony APM-22ES loudspeakers which I believe received a bit of a cult following. He had the two way model. Later in Hong Kong we spotted a 3 way model. Some people mentioned NAD and Arcam above who used to make great kit (and I think still do?).

Op: if you want Technics, go with it. I'd love to see a photo once you're all set up with it.

Now that was a class act - Nakamichi.

Sadly an ipod fitted to a power amp of a much smaller size has changed all that.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
a proper "bells and whistles" system
It's not hard to build one at a very good price if you monitor ebay, do your homework and are prepared to take some time over it. Technics was just one of any number of manufacturers turning out decent but nothing special stuff back in the day. Widen your net and the world is your lobster. I got a very respectable Denon amp recently, eg, in perfect nick, for under £20. There are bargains to be had....just takes a little application.

Top Bottom