Old style cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.
Can you still buy the old type of cleats that just have a slot to fit into the pedal? I use clipless all of the time but once or twice have had a bit of a panic when I needed to get my feet out quick. I used to like the old type, my feet felt secure but could easily release from the pedal, and there were always toe straps to tighten when required. I'm not sure if you could fit them to more modern shoes or if you would also need some retro type shoes.

raindog

er.....
Shoe Plates? Saw some on ebay last year.
Here we are....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/classic-cycling-shoes

but as you say, I doubt if you'd be able to fit them to modern shoes

$_35.JPG

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Shoeplates, of course! I knew there was another name for them.
Good idea about a bike jumble. I might even spot one of the 3 pairs of shoes that I threw out last year. They had been gathering dust in a wardrobe for years. After a few sessions of should I or should I not throw these away now, I decided that I probably wouldn't go back to that style. Lo and behold 12 months later here I am looking for some. I'm feeling very annoyed with myself just now.
Is it just me........?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I still have a set of plastic plates unused. I preferred the metal kind. I think there is an advertiser in the back of the CTC mag who lists 'traditional cycling shoes'.

Top Bottom