Old Videos - converting to digital

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do we have any experts who convert old video tapes to digital at home. I've seen a number of USB devices that could do the job.

Initially looking at converting 8mm or VHS-C to digital. The bigger problem will be 16m and 8mm cine, but I think I'll cheat and capture it using a digital SLR - we can play the 16mm but the 8mm is more problematic as I'll have to get the old projector working. We've got FIL's 16mm projector, and that's relatively new and works. The two others look ancient, and one I wouldn't touch as the electrics look dangerous.

These are all my late FIL's tapes - MrsF want's some converting to digital for Christmas as I can then either play it on the TV, or, better the digital projector. We've both her sisters round on Christmas day.

We've an old VHS/DVD player, but not so sure it won't chew some tapes. We can get our hands on the old 8mm video cameras so can play the source.

Anyone got any hardware they use or have used. PC wise we've more than enough horsepower to process them, just want an easy and quick transfer. I'm not planning on editing it, I don't have the patience. FIL used to play for hours editing tapes the old analogue way.

Any advice is welcome - just looking to 'press play' and then 'record'.

I have a usb system then converts them fine - as long as they are not copyright protected

You do have to play the whole tape at normal speed - which takes a while obviously - but it works
Hence you need something than can play them and has the correct output - I think it is the 3 wires system - red, white and something else - but there are adapters to convert this to SCART

I have done it for some friends and colleagues but not for several years!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

There are a few USB devices. It's mainly Hi8. Just found FIL's old camera and it won't work. I suspect on of the sisters has the other somewhere. I think we've got a hi8 somewhere of mine.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a converter you can borrow if you want. Not used it in anger yet. My mum has a DVD and video recorder. If you have a hi8 adapter to VHS cassette body you could go down that route. I need to do my wedding video at some point so will look at it later.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Simplest way is a DVD recorder with analogue video input. Still a few around.

FIL indeed has one of these - it does have scart input which my camera can output to with the adpater. I'm going to have to have a play with it - brought it home today and we've some DVD-R's going spare - certainly the easiest way to digitise it, and easy once on DVD to convert if needed.

The good news is my Samsung 8mm camera will playback Hi8. Phew.

We've got quite a few videos on 8mm and FIL had a mix. Our old VHS-C could go in an adapter (we have one somewhere).

Looks like the last time we used the camera was in 2007 for my daughter's 4th birthday (the tape was in there). All changed now hasn't it.

Quality wise, it's rubbish compared to phones these days !

Talking to SIL, and there is a blu-ray player too that may have been used once or twice. Asked her if she wanted it, but she said she had a DVD player that she sometimes uses. I said our video/DVD hasn't been used in years and we no-longer play DVD's as it's all streamed, even music ! ^_^

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I have a converter you can borrow if you want. Not used it in anger yet. My mum has a DVD and video recorder. If you have a hi8 adapter to VHS cassette body you could go down that route. I need to do my wedding video at some point so will look at it later.

Our wedding video is on VHS, so really need to convert it - will see how I go with FIL's DVD recorder. We've just been going through his video mixing decks and monitors, how tech changes. Don't fancy putting VHS tapes (that we don't want chewed) in our Video/DVD player these days - it's old !

midlife

Guru
I would guess old cine "celluloid" film to digital is a commercial job?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I would guess old cine "celluloid" film to digital is a commercial job?

Yes for any sort of quality - this will be another challenge - I'm likely to just project it, then record using a digital SLR - simplest, and possibly not the best !

It's finding 'time' to do it, as it's a lengthy job.

tom73

Guru
Yes for any sort of quality - this will be another challenge - I'm likely to just project it, then record using a digital SLR - simplest, and possibly not the best !

It's finding 'time' to do it, as it's a lengthy job.

How many hours you think you've got to get though ?

Asda do film to digital service looks to be basic transfer only. Maybe worth a look even you do some free up time for the rest.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Boy he did his films thought I was having it bad with box after box of old photos.
Best of luck

He did - was well into it. There is a big video camera with separate recorder box as well. The 16mm cine is mainly Co-op video with one or two family videos - god knows how big the camera was ? There are quite a few 8mm cine too, which we're not sure if the 'projector' works - the 16mm one is newer. He also had one of three copies of the Co-op Manchester Bombing WWII report !

He was into TV and audio - even made a TV out of a cardboard box as the case (from components). He also had a loud speaker company for many years, so we are left with his video stuff. I've been landed with it as I'm techy and my son is really good at video editing (he made my sister's wedding video which was outstanding), but I plan on straight conversion and passing it to family.

Top Bottom