Old Wheels and New Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hi all,

Had a nasty blowout this morning on the commute, which wrecked both tyre and tube (fortunately only 1 mile away from the superb Rick Green Cycles who came to my rescue in the best traditions of the LBS - I could have fitted the new tyre and tube myself, but they very kindly did it all for me, charging only for the parts).

Essentially the bead of the tyre had become separated from the rest of the tyre - the tube worked its way out and then burst (on a roundabout, joy of joys). Up to now I'd been running my tyres at 120psi rear, and 110 front - chatting to the chap at the shop, he reckoned that my rims aren't up to it (they're smooth walled, lacking the bit on a newer rim that the bead hooks into).

Anyway, my question is, are there wheels I could get "off the shelf" that would fit my bike (rear threaded for a freewheel block and 120mm spacing) that have the "hooked" rim, or am I looking at rebuilding the wheels with these rims if I want to run at high pressures? (I can keep things below 90 if need be, it's just that riding on the pressures I'm used to feels nicer...)

I do like this bike, but it seems to be eating money at a slightly alarming rate at the moment :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If the hubs are in good condition then new rims would be the best and cheapest option. Hubs with 120mm spacing would be hard to find now.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cheers Joe. I reckon with a bit of exaggeration of the cost of wheelbuilding, this can form the first plank of my "needing" a new bike campaign :rolleyes:

Top Bottom