Older Bikes - Originality, does it matter ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
pubrunner said:
The matter is long since closed. I've mentally 'forgiven' the buyer of the bike - his attitude towards dealing in old bikes and originality is just different from my own. No point in harbouring grudges; life goes on and all that.

I admire you for taking that attitude.
Much as I'd try not to let it, an experience like that would stay with me for a very long time indeed.

pubrunner said:
I can assure you that it was someone that your girlfriend's Dad knows and the bike was 'broken for bits'. Your girlfriend's Dad is fully aware of what happened.

I have emailed your girlfriend's dad quite a few times and have found him to be incredibly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. He has 'gone out of his way' to provide advice and assistance - he is a person for whom I have the utmost respect - a thoroughly decent man. He was, I think, embarrassed and 'put-out' at what occurred; he felt that he was 'put in a difficult position', because the buyer of my bike is a 'long-standing friend'.

The matter is long since closed. I've mentally 'forgiven' the buyer of the bike - his attitude towards dealing in old bikes and originality is just different from my own. No point in harbouring grudges; life goes on and all that.

I've only used that real-life experience to query whether 'originality' is so important.

Sorry Pubrunner, I wasn't trying to imply there was any bad feeling on his part, or on yours. In fact, I do seem to recall him saying something about this a while back and I got the impression he wasn't happy then. He is a nice bloke and he knows his onions (especially regarding Major Nicholls and Paris Galibier bikes). I'll see if I can get some pics of his collection one of these days.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
He is a nice bloke and he knows his onions (especially regarding Major Nicholls and Paris Galibier bikes). I'll see if I can get some pics of his collection one of these days.

+1

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
I admire you for taking that attitude.
Much as I'd try not to let it, an experience like that would stay with me for a very long time indeed.

Just part of the learning curve.

Wish I'd kept the bike though, it would be nicely modified by now !!!:sad:

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
dan_bo said:
I also run a old viking ('63 ss-T, lovely)

It should have clements tubs, a chater-lea crankset, GB handlebars, period rim tape etc etc etc......

However, It runs just fine with velocity deep V rims, a cinelli stem, tiny saddle and '09 Dura-Ace track cranks.

Do what you see fit. It's your bike.

Hi dan bo,

Which model of Viking do you have ?

Did you have spread the rear dropouts to fit modern running gear ?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hilldodger said:
That's why I don't want to be a member of the VCC any more because too many people use it to further their business. If it wasn't for the Boneshaker magazine I wouldn't bother.

The guy who bought my Rory O'Brien is going to be the Chairman of his local section during 2010 for the V-CC. He will be the first point of contact for many people - some of whom may ask advice and help about the best place to value or sell their bikes. I'm sure that he'll be only too pleased to 'help' them:laugh:.

I wonder how many bikes have been stripped to provide the parts that he has sold ? He doesn't sell in the V-CC magazine; just on Ebay - so far as I know. What was astonishing, was the speed of his actions. He picked up the bike from me on a Friday evening and the next Wednesday, I spotted the frame on Ebay.

I've genuinely 'got over' the experience, but I think that it is useful to relate my experience as a cautionary tale.

urbanfatboy

Über Member
Yeah, reckon he was dishonest, especially after knocking you down on price. If he really was dissatisfied with it, he coulda contacted you, see if you wanted it back. The galling thing is it sounds like you did him a favour because of his ethos, he used that to cut you. Probably planned to do it all along.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
urbanfatboy said:
Yeah, reckon he was dishonest, especially after knocking you down on price. If he really was dissatisfied with it, he coulda contacted you, see if you wanted it back. The galling thing is it sounds like you did him a favour because of his ethos, he used that to cut you. Probably planned to do it all along.

I did him a favour, entirely because he was/is a fellow member of the V-CC. I didn't realise that he was entirely motivated (in this instance) by profit. Yes, I'm certain that he planned to do it all along.

He told me that he intended to use the bike for Club Runs. I told him that I planned to do some and that I hoped I'd see him riding the Rory O'Brien on them - gotta laugh at that. Made me feel a 'right wally' at having said that, when I saw the bike on Ebay just a couple of days later. I laugh about it now though !

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hey urbanfatboy,

That's a great place where you live !

We stayed over for a night in the Kings Head Hotel. Took the kids to Mother Shipton's Cave in Knaresborough, The Forbidden Corner and Lightwater Valley. The kids loved the sweet shop opposite The King's Head - spent a fortune in there. All in all, we had a great time.

10 or 12 years ago, I stayed at The Buck at Thornton Watlass; we called in for a pint and whilst the beer was fine, I thought it seemed more 'run-down' than previously.

My & the Missus (a strong cyclist) plan to go up to Masham next year - perhaps you'd be up for a spin out somewhere ?

peanut

its a very difficult dilema isn't it . Do you keep the bike original or upgrade the frame with modern components which will doubless make the bike safer to ride and probably more enjoyable to ride if the truth were known.

I think if you turned up for a Sunday club run 10 years ago with a 1970's classic ,sporting original componants you'd be in for a fair 'bit of stick ':biggrin:

In the past 2-3 years or so with the huge increase in interest in fixed the old classic frames have made a huge come back and I'd go as far to say its more likely now that a club cyclist is going to have one than not.

My own feelings are I suppose mixed.. If I had a rare frame from the 50's or 60's I would do my utmost to conserve it . I doubt that I would build and ride it and would probably hang the frame on the wall in my sitting room like I would a piece of fine art:biggrin:

If it was an interesting but reasonably common frame ie 70's-80's I might be tempted to build with modern components provided I could do so without modifying or damaging the frame.

I have a 1980's 653 Ribble which is as common as muck but a nice frame all the same. I'm not in the least bit precious about it and will hang anything on it in order to enjoy riding it. It's probably going to be built as my TT bike for next season .I love it to bits and would never part with it . It represents the peak period of my passion and fitness in cycling and holds many good memories .

My Dad who is now 88 has come to stay with us and his stories of his early cycling days and working opposite Hobbs of barbican and saving up for his first bike has rekindled my interest and I shall be looking out for a nice early frameset to restore soon . I shall be building that with completely original equipment and half the enjoyment will be the endless search for just the right part.:laugh:

Wish that I'd bought one of those lovely frames that Hilary recently sold on ebay from his enormous collection

My Ribble Dibble awaiting a new life
ribbleframe.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it comes down to what you want the bike for - to ride, or to look at? If the parts are original and they work, although maybe they aren't cosmetically perfect, then leave them on and use the bike like that. If they are original but knackered (or don't work for you, maybe the gearing is too high or something), and you want to use the bike, replace them. If it's all rare, and you only want to use it everyso often, that's fine, but if the parts aren't functional, you're looking at a tubular piece of ornament - which is fine if you want that, but a bike deserves the chance to get out, I think. Just as vintage cars should be driven, or vintage aircraft flown, even it it means making the odd compromise. Unless it's one of the last few of it's kind, keep it out of a museum.

I'm building up my Galaxy (not sure of date, maybe 80's) on the basis of what I can afford balanced against what suits me - but it lost any pretence of originality long ago when we resprayed it.

peanut

funny how some of the folk that were not in favour of a classic bike section and argued long and hard against it are now posting here :blush::biggrin::biggrin: funny that ;)

Top Bottom