Oldie newby questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Finless said:
Perhaps I'll end up with 2 bikes?

You'll need an old beater for going to the pub etc.

Tynan

Veteran
'the slang terms "death grips", "suicide levers" and "turkey wings" are occasionally substituted.'

yikes

OP
OP
Finless

Finless

Sorry for the delay with the pictures.

Pictures.

I'm torn now about which bike to buy, should I opt for a new one.

I don't want suspension.
I may want to ride along the beach (hard but wet sand when the tide is out) so corrosion cold be a big issue.
I used to be able to step on the pedals a bit so I don't want ridiculously high(?) gears where it is quicker to get off and walk. Nothing higher than what used to be first gear on the old standard 5 speed bikes.
I certainly want a much lower gear than 5th on the old standard 5 speed bikes.
I quite like the look of those attachments that look like animal horns.
I don't want nobbly tyres.

Fussy, aren't I? :wacko:

Finless said:
Pictures.

I'm torn now about which bike to buy, should I opt for a new one.

I don't want suspension.
I may want to ride along the beach (hard but wet sand when the tide is out) so corrosion cold be a big issue.
I used to be able to step on the pedals a bit so I don't want ridiculously high(?) gears where it is quicker to get off and walk. Nothing higher than what used to be first gear on the old standard 5 speed bikes.
I certainly want a much lower gear than 5th on the old standard 5 speed bikes.
I quite like the look of those attachments that look like animal horns.
I don't want nobbly tyres.

Fussy, aren't I? :evil:

Nope, you're not fussy, you're building up a good picture of what you want, which will help when some spotty berk tries to mis-sell you a heap of junk (I've seen it happen).

A nice Dawes Galaxy will handle the above very easily. Beach corrosion isn't an issue if you wash the bike with fresh water after riding on the beach.

Finless MOVE ON MATE!!!

Look at cars, would you really be able to use a 33 year old cortina as a serious form of transport?
If you want a project to do and then look at then OK otherwise (or while you are spending all summer doing that) go on Ebay or look at old bikes in bike shop and get something for now to get you out and on the road.

You may be in need of the gears as the last 33 years may have had some effect on you.

I know all bike shops seem to be filled with mountain bikes but look around and there are lots of road bikes to choose from.

You need to move with the times, bikes like cars have got a whole lot better. But I agree suspension is a waste of time. Modern 24 gear bikes are a joy to use and they will help you get back into it better.

£150 will get you a good spec second hand bike less than 5 years old and you will end up leaving the old one in the garden once you have got used to the way things have moved on.

OP
OP
Finless

Finless

Over The Hill said:
Finless MOVE ON MATE!!!

Look at cars, would you really be able to use a 33 year old cortina as a serious form of transport?
If you want a project to do and then look at then OK otherwise (or while you are spending all summer doing that) go on Ebay or look at old bikes in bike shop and get something for now to get you out and on the road.

You may be in need of the gears as the last 33 years may have had some effect on you.

I know all bike shops seem to be filled with mountain bikes but look around and there are lots of road bikes to choose from.

You need to move with the times, bikes like cars have got a whole lot better. But I agree suspension is a waste of time. Modern 24 gear bikes are a joy to use and they will help you get back into it better.

£150 will get you a good spec second hand bike less than 5 years old and you will end up leaving the old one in the garden once you have got used to the way things have moved on.

I have to admit that I am quite tempted. Although I would like a new bike. I've never managed to own a new car but a new bike ........... surely I can afford that.

I suppose the next question is; is a second hand 5yo bicycle going to be better than a bottom of the range new one?

I'm fed up with being poor ............. and old ............. and having wrinkles .............. and above average bad cholesterol levels ........ and a decreasing capacity to sup a beer or 6 .............. and a keyboard where the stupid U key seems to have a problem. Sigh.

gstratton

I think it is a Puch Pursuit.

I have one. Built in Austria.

Did you mend this one?

I hope so.

If not, I need the bottom bracket casing for mine as it has snapped.

This didn't happen suddenly or in a dangerous fashion so I wouldn't worry about people saying that a bike will suddenly snap apart as you are riding along.

Top Bottom