Olympic BMX question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I watched a bit of the BMX seeding time trial this afternoon and have been trying to find out why the track is different for the women's race and the men's, but the internet is coming with zero suggestions.

Anyone?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Because the poor weak girls can't possibly race as far as the big strong men.

Or something like that. It mystifies me, too - the experience of athletics has been that women's races can be just as competitive and entertaining as men's races over the same distances. So why cycling persists with discrimination by race length is beyond me. Give them the distance and they'll come and race.

asterix

Comrade Member
Watched the last women's TdFrance, sat at the top of the Col du Tourmalet. It was pure chance, I just happened to be riding the other way at the right time and they closed the road for the race just as got there. No weak and feeble women in that field! And hardly any spectators, either, let alone a caravane. Shame they packed it in.

400bhp

Guru
Because the poor weak girls can't possibly race as far as the big strong men.

Or something like that. It mystifies me, too - the experience of athletics has been that women's races can be just as competitive and entertaining as men's races over the same distances. So why cycling persists with discrimination by race length is beyond me. Give them the distance and they'll come and race.

Completely agree - perhaps the men's RR should have been the same length (shorter) as per the women's. Might have been much more attacking.

VamP

Banned
It's not the distance that's the issue, but the power that's required to ''safely'' complete some of the tougher bi-cross style jumps. Same reason why ski-cross and board-cross races are held on different tracks for men and women.

It really has nothing to do with traditional gender roles, as these are all very young sports which have evolved this way due to physiological gender differences.

asterix

Comrade Member
[QUOTE 1975179, member: 45"]I do know that they had to redesign the Olympic bmx track because during its first use they discovered it to be far too dangerous.[/quote]

I wonder what sort of expertise produced the first effort? BMX track design must be fairly well understood by BMX people.

oldroadman

Veteran
I wonder what sort of expertise produced the first effort? BMX track design must be fairly well understood by BMX people.

Quite. The first design was perhaps not by someone who was that clued up with what was required, rumour that the designer was more used to snow sports. An excellent choice!

asterix

Comrade Member
why can't we all just play nicely together?

Dunno. How does it work?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Dunno. How does it work?

well, boys and girls all play together, competing as equals on the same playing field. Then you end up with fastest overall, fastest boy and fastest girl. Fastest fatty, fastest ginner, fastest in the 25-35 age bracket, how ever many way you want to categorise it can be done just from one single race instead of umpteen different groups run over several different courses.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
well, boys and girls all play together, competing as equals on the same playing field. Then you end up with fastest overall, fastest boy and fastest girl. Fastest fatty, fastest ginner, fastest in the 25-35 age bracket, how ever many way you want to categorise it can be done just from one single race instead of umpteen different groups run over several different courses.

Look at the stat's you will soon see why the women and men are separated in many event's, it's not because women are perceived as lesser, the women and men's events are separate to give all athlete's the opportunity to shine.

Quick example of where dividing men and women is a good thing, seeding a match sprint event via a qualifying flying 200m TT, at this level you would essentially have a result sheet consisting of two blocks of competitors, men and women with a clear divide (baring the occasional exception), according to times posted (women are typically about 0.5 to 1 second down on the men's times). This would then have all of the 1st stage matches being a man vs a woman (slowest vs fastest, second slowest vs second fastest etc etc) and you basically see all females eliminated from the competition in the 1st stage proper, leaving the women to be rated based on flying laps rather than actual match sprint ability. Similarly in other events.

The argument for varying distances between men and women's events etc varies from event to event. It could depend on physiological differences or it could be as simple as something like there being more men involved in the sport than women, thus it being easier to find a team of certain size with men or vice versa (bare in mind many nations don't have such a large pool of athlete's so you would end up excluding certain nations in some cases by forcing equal distances). The team pursuit for example, men ride with 4 riders, over 4 km, women, 3 riders over 3km. 1km per rider on the front (if you divide workload equally which isn't really the case but never mind). Plus there is the money side of things, why combine events and get it over with quicker, when you can drag it out and make more money from tickets?

VamP

Banned

The short answer is that every sport is different.

The long answer is that while endurance sports are moslty compatible with this format, power sports simply are not. For obvious reasons. In outright power sports competitors are further categorized by weight classes. Imagine the carnage if all weightlifters had to lift the same weight.

Top Bottom