Olympic MTB competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I thought I'd start an Olympic MTB thread. I've hacked about on an MTB since I was a teen but have no idea what a competition entails. Is it a time trail? A group race? Are there points for trick moves?

Who are the favourites?

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a recumbent.... settee.

waynegibberellins

Good question, I'm very been on MTBs for years and did few races as a youngster. Don't think there is any time trialing, think it's all straight racing. Always enjoyed watching the tdf but never really watched much MTB racing. Remember watching some of the Sydney races and being pretty unimpressed with how flat the course was.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mass start, seeded gate position, cross country race in the mountains of essex. Think like to road races but off road. I'd rather watch the bmx than a cross country mtb race. Teams of three men, two women, but generally XC is every person for themselves with not much opportunity for team tactics. Overtaking opportunities can be limited so elbows may be used. more http://www.london2012.com/cycling-mountain-bike/about/index.html

Diggs

Veteran
Went to see the womens race yesterday. Fantastic day for the family, both this and the Olympic Park were extremely well organised. Utter respect to Emily Batty who completed the race after breaking her collarbone 4 days ago. So glad to hear this venue will be open to the public after

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was sceptical about the choice of venue but was pleasantly surprised when I watched the women's MTB race yesterday. It looked pretty selective and there were some nice technical sections to negotiate.

I imagine that the men's race today will be pretty brutal!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There are probably lots of similar videos around but yesterday I bumped into this one (click ''en vidéo'') of Julien Absalon going round the course. Being a helmet cam, it doesn't really give an idea of the inclines but it does give a good overview.

That Julie Bresset, at just 23, rode a near perfect race yesterday. The time differences between competitors were enormous, so much so that the race lacked excitement IMO. It will be interesting to see whether the time gaps are similar with the men. The course leaves nowhere to rest or recover so as long as the rider stays on the bike, it's just non-stop graft.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Went to see the womens race yesterday. Fantastic day for the family, both this and the Olympic Park were extremely well organised. Utter respect to Emily Batty who completed the race after breaking her collarbone 4 days ago. So glad to hear this venue will be open to the public after
She is an absolute hero.

The mens race today is going to be a fantastic event, one person to keep an eye on is Jaroslav Kulhavy that man is a machine and seems unbeatable, I went to Dalby forrest in 2010 to watch him and he is just amazing, he loves to get about 2 mins ahead and no one can catch him once he has gone

Cyclist33

I was sceptical about the choice of venue but was pleasantly surprised when I watched the women's MTB race yesterday. It looked pretty selective and there were some nice technical sections to negotiate.

I imagine that the men's race today will be pretty brutal!

Ooh ooh, didn't realise it was on today! Cheers

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Only just getting round to watching the womens' race now, I've never seen 'proper' MTB riding before; it's fascinating watching the techniques being used. I've ridden an MTB for twenty years but no shoot all about technique!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... this joke isn't funny any more...

Top Bottom