Olympic sport "experts"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
To put it into the pantheon of great British sporting journalism. My favourite still being the football Champions League headline after a Barca win 'The 10 best players in the world....and Xavi' Hmm...

Supercaleygoballisticcelticareattrocious.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Saw one comment after an article "They should all have been trying to get a medal, working as a team is tantamount to cheating".....:stop:

Why was his question so daft? Cyclists regularly cite fatigue from a previous event as a reason for poor performance (not that Team GB were poor). Cadel has pulled out of the TT for that exact reason.

The comments below the article are a splendid illustration of the phrase 'botton half of the internet'. I really hope that some of them don't ever breed, because we'll be back to banging rocks together in a cave for entertainment within a generation or two.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Why was his question so daft? Cyclists regularly cite fatigue from a previous event as a reason for poor performance (not that Team GB were poor). Cadel has pulled out of the TT for that exact reason.
Except that it was clearly not fatigue that 'lost' GB the race, it was a tactical error.

Even if Cav, Wiggo, Froome and Millar had all missed the tour to focus on the Olympics, I doubt they would have pulled that group back once they had been foolish enough to let them go

siadwell

Guru
Sorry to hijack the thread, but as the subject has come up....

Can someone explain to me why the peleton couldn't/didn't catch the breakaway early on in the men's race?

Watching the women's race on TV yesterday, I can see how 3 or 4 riders working efficiently out front were able to maintain a gap on a larger group that couldn't get themselves organised. Indeed I think Boardman suggested the two remaining GB riders near the fornt of the peleton could possibly get involved in the chase effort and disrupt the rhythm of the leading chasers.

Now I understand the thing about the other teams in the chasing group of the men's race not assisting GB so that they wore themselves out, but did GB really need assistance to stop the breakaway getting so far ahead?

I should perhaps add that I watched the men's race from the back of Box Hill with no mobile internet, so we had little clue what was happening elsewhere, but the GB boys seemed to be at the front of the chasers whenever they went past. Maybe the teams had no more info than we had.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Just as 3 or 4 riders in the women's race were able to outpace a large group who couldn't get organised, a group of 20 who were organised in the men's race were able to outpace a group of 4 or 5.

It's not rocket science - if you're doing a quarter of the work you'll be more knackered than if you're doing a twentieth. The tactical error, if there was one, was not pre-arranging with the other leading sprinters' nations that they'd join in the GB chase effort.

Sending someone up the road to join the front group wouldn't have worked, either. It would have depleted the main chase effort and resulted in one very knackered rider tagging along at the end of the leading bunch.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Also the larger the group in a breakaway, means more nations/teams have a man in the breakaway and may see fit not to chase so will not contribute to bringing it back.

Except that it was clearly not fatigue that 'lost' GB the race, it was a tactical error.

Even if Cav, Wiggo, Froome and Millar had all missed the tour to focus on the Olympics, I doubt they would have pulled that group back once they had been foolish enough to let them go
I don't disagree, but from the reaction he got you'd have thought he'd asked why Cav didn't 'peddle faster', before mooning him.

I don't know about other sports (because I don't care) but cycling fans can't half be precious when someone who appears to know less than them gets behind a microphone/keyboard/camera. I bet the hapless moron doesn't even know what a penelton is. :rolleyes:

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I don't disagree, but from the reaction he got you'd have thought he'd asked why Cav didn't 'peddle faster', before mooning him.

But thats precisely it; thats exactly what the guy did ask him! (Ok, not the mooning part)

"Were you knackered from the TdF which meant you couldn't cycle any harder"? or something to that effect is probably how it would have come across to me as well if I was in Cav's shoes.

These guys are professionals, they were in a field that was made up of alot of Tour finishers/participants, and Cav even told the Beeb only a week ago he had actually had a fairly easy tour; that he hadn't chased as many stage wins as perhaps could have; he had domed to Wiggers for 3 weeks...

It was akin to asking Rooney why he didn't score more goals against Italy to keep us in Euro 2012!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It was akin to asking Rooney why he didn't score more goals against Italy to keep us in Euro 2012!
Yes - why didn't he? And why do those tennis players keep hitting the ball back and forward with their bats when they could just smash it over the net - it makes the game go on and on. And is golf a sport anyway?

Top Bottom