Omg - I can't stop laughing.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
2Loose said:
Fixie tandem? Downa hill and the stoker tries to lock hisher knees straight and the rear slides because the driver(?) can't overcome the locked legs of the stoker?

Nah, either a bad idea or you and proposed stoker are MENTAL Joe! xx(
could one persons legs overpower the force of another persons legs wanting to turn along with the momentum of the bike, bearing in mind it would have the weight of 2 on it, i recon not.

I remember seeing an old photo of a fixed track bike with a captain and (I think) 5 stokers. The chainwheel was massive. Can't find it on the interwebby though.

garrilla

Tharg2007 said:
could one persons legs overpower the force of another persons legs wanting to turn along with the momentum of the bike, bearing in mind it would have the weight of 2 on it, i recon not.

it would be one almighty trackstand otherwise

Cranky

Touche said:
I remember seeing an old photo of a fixed track bike with a captain and (I think) 5 stokers. The chainwheel was massive. Can't find it on the interwebby though.

I wonder if it's the same one we have a large print of on our living room wall. There are 6 stokers and it's titled French Septuplet. Taken in 1896 if I remember rightly. It's certainly a conversation piece.

Mrs C and I bought a lovely, barely used Dawes tandem - a 26" wheeled version - though eBay shortly before Easter. We've now customised it a fair bit - new riser handlebars, saddles, tyres and mudguards. Lots of fun and, after some initial wobbliness and a few "comedy starts", we've covered 500 miles including a mini-tour of Berks and Wilts. She's a natural stoker, I think - we now instinctively pedal or coast without any instruction from me. I think the tandem experience either strengthens a relationship or hastens divorce proceedings (the former in our case).

I miss our tandem.

It's cooped up in the shed forlorn, where it has been for a few months now. My partner has not been well enough to ride it during the latter parts of the pregnancy. Reading this has made me tempted to whip it out the shed and ride it solo on my commute - see if I pick up any hitch hikers on the way?

Tandeming adds an entire new dimension to cycling.

We took it on a CTC run, and when one of the old dears whittered on about how tandems were rubbish at climbing, my stoker ensured we were the first to the top of every hill. It was like a turbo going when she got the bit between her teeth!

When we got some speed up on that thing tho it had to be respected. Fully laden with the two of us and nearly a weeks shopping, if really felt like a lot to stay in control of when cut up by a moton.

And what really amazed me was the excellent traction, grip and handling in all the slushy weather we had last winter. We were using it every day, we rode it to where my partner works, I dropped her off, kissed her goodbye and rode it home solo, then swapping it for my own bike to go to work. I think we picked up a bit of notoriety with the locals and other regular commuters!

Tharg2007

Veteran
if you had a lot of kids this would be good for the school run :smile:

There was a TV program recently of a guy who rode through N & S America from Alaska all the way to Tierra del Fuego on a tandem, picking up random strangers to ride a stoker.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bollo said:
I've got a kiddieback Thorn tandem and they are the business multiplied by fun squared. Plus a bit.

Bolletta is hugely risk averse but has never had any problems with the tandem. The nippers are natural stokers because they don't try to boss the bike. As long as you let them know the rules (no feet out of pedals - if they come out, shout - two hands at all times) then its great. Even a kiddieback can get up to some impressive speeds down a hill.

Is that the yllow one I think you mentioned once? I always look out for it when I'm in Winch, as I think you're local to my sister...

An extra warning on the stokers pedal business, make sure their laces are done up tight and tucked in so they can;t get caught in the pedal, since they can't just stop pedalling if lace gets caught...

Arch

Married to Night Train
badkitty said:
Oh my! That's brilliant but soooo wrong. That's really messing with my Friday morning head, that is.. :biggrin:

Actually, the only tandems I'v felt ok on were either recumbents (a trike, and a bike, lower to the ground I think, hence less scary) or the MicWic recumbent back-to-back, because I couldn't see what was coming to worry about it.

Top Bottom