On a self created cycling what should we be prepared for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Myself and 3 other relatively new cyclists are going to the Vosges mountains for a fortnight - when we met to plan what we need, apart from things like spare tyre(s) and tubes things like chain pins were also mentioned. Are these necessary? What is necessary?

My bike is very new; a couple of the others are 2-3 years old. They get ridden for about 120-180m a week most weeks. We will be in a house we're renting and going out for rides most days and long very hilly rides on at least 2 days (if the first day/s of hills doesn't totally put one or two of us off).

In terms of bike repairs what would you recommend apart from:
inner tubes
spare tyre
a bike tool
tyre levers (though cheered when I did it by hand for the first time the other day)
pump

Thanks

Spare spokes, hypercracker, brake and gear cables, mini leatherman.

bilboburgler

Here's another I prepared earlier
http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/Bike_Guide.php

Not sure if I'm allowed to show it but it has many of the answers to the core questions.

On the Vosges mountains I suggest you also look at
1) The only concentration camp built on french soil which is up there
2) The war memorial (WW1) whcih is above the the Ballon d'alsace and if you can get there in the evening you will see small red lights twinkling by the gravestones looking out over the alps ( magical view)
3) Drop down to the Ballon during the day to eat and drink at the cafes up there
4) If you go down to Busang on the Lorraine side you will find the source of the Moselle and a nice hotel called something like Le Source du Moselle. Great food.
5) Finally if you ride over the Southern end of the Vosges you will find the chapel designed by Corbuisier at Ronchamp ( I think)

Have a great time but avoid "the museum of the roots that look like famous politicians" it is too weird

OP
OP
Fletch456

Fletch456

Guru
Thanks guys and thanks for the tips for the area Bilbo - I was thinking putting a separate thread asking for points of interest / sites to ask of anyone who knows the region.

Top Bottom