On-One Midge bars or similar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I was thinking about getting some On-One Midge bars for my Surly CrossCheck, and was wondering if anyone else used them (or something similar, because I know they're not the only flared bars out there).

Lately (since riding a MTB a lot) I'm finding my hands don't want to sit on the hoods, but would rather rest at an angle, so I think these might do the job. They're also a bit wider than my current bars on the flat part (where I ride quite a lot) and the short reach and drop seems pretty similar to my current bars, so would probably suit me.

Has anyone tried them. Did you like or dislike?

snorri

Legendary Member
Did anyone else think this thread was going to be about some new confectionery bar that one consumed in order to deter midgies?:shy:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I tried and liked them Lulu but eventually had to switch as the drops part is a bit on the short side. But I would guess you have smaller hands tham me so that shouldn't be a problem. The slanted hoods position was remarkably comfortable and I now use a Salsa variant of the flared drops. Still gives the wide top, not as shallow as the Midges but far more room in the drops themselves.

I set mine quite high so that the drops are more comfortable hence the problems with the short extension of the Midges.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Did anyone else think this thread was going to be about some new confectionery bar that one consumed in order to deter midgies?:shy:

Wouldn't that be an anti-midge bar? ;)

I tried and liked them Lulu but eventually had to switch as the drops part is a bit on the short side. But I would guess you have smaller hands tham me so that shouldn't be a problem. The slanted hoods position was remarkably comfortable and I now use a Salsa variant of the flared drops. Still gives the wide top, not as shallow as the Midges but far more room in the drops themselves.

I set mine quite high so that the drops are more comfortable hence the problems with the short extension of the Midges.

Thanks. I thought someone here had used them, but couldn't remember who it was.

I guess you can set them higher if you're going to spend more time on the drops. At the moment, mine are used exclusively for long descents.

I'll check the length of the drops against what I've got ("female specific" bars, so they're probably quite short and compact) to make sure, and also have a look at the Salsa bars. I want to try and get it right first time, if I can.

amaferanga

Veteran
Unless you've got very wide shoulders I think you'll find them uncomfortably wide. I tried them and hated them. I just don't see the point in them actually. And that was with a single speed bike. I'd imagine they'd be pretty compromised if you have STIs.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Unless you've got very wide shoulders I think you'll find them uncomfortably wide. I tried them and hated them. I just don't see the point in them actually. And that was with a single speed bike. I'd imagine they'd be pretty compromised if you have STIs.

I'm finding my standard road drops very uncomfortably narrow at the moment, compared to the high levels of comfort the 680mm flat bars on my MTB offer. I'm also finding the elbows tucked in position on the road bike is really interfering with my breathing - I think, being asthmatic, I need to give my lungs every chance to expand - so that's the logic behind wanting to try them.

What did you mean when you said they could be pretty compromised with STIs?

I've got some on my Pompino and like them. Posts above are correct in that they have short drop section - but not riding in the drops that much I don't find it a problem. Don't know about STI as have an alfine hub and bar end shifter on it.
Salsa woodchippers have longer drops

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They've been on, and off, and on, my pompetamine project and shopping bike. The drops are excellent for when you need to put the power down.

They're very popular with the monster cross crowd too.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
For those who have used and got on with them, do you think you could get away with a very short stem with them? I already have a 75mm stem, and would like to go shorter.

(I've finally isolated the stretched out position on the Surly as what's causing my headaches after longer rides - I don't get them when I do similar length rides on the MTB, even though the saddle to bar drop is the same.)

Top Bottom