On the oche

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Snooker has at least one female player knocking on the door at the top level. If she or another woman do break through it will inspire others to follow, just like the success of people like Bryony Frost on horse racing and our own Vicky P have brought a big increase in female participation in both sports.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You mean put me on ignore :rolleyes:??

Indeed:laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Snooker has at least one female player knocking on the door at the top level. If she or another woman do break through it will inspire others to follow, just like the success of people like Bryony Frost on horse racing and our own Vicky P have brought a big increase in female participation in both sports.

Which reminds me horsey type events.. Show jumping, cross country etc have always had men and women competing in an equal footing.

Clearly most of the 'strength' comes from the horse.

But there's no little athleticism /skill required by the rider too.

I'm wondering if its because horsey sports generally have well off participants, with both genders perhapshaving a fair amount of money and chance to practice, that it shows that a lot of the time it's more about time and resources available, to compete on an equal footing*

(*hoofing)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Which reminds me horsey type events.. Show jumping, cross country etc have always had men and women competing in an equal footing.

Clearly most of the 'strength' comes from the horse.

But there's no little athleticism /skill required by the rider too.

I'm wondering if its because horsey sports generally have well off participants, with both genders perhapshaving a fair amount of money and chance to practice, that it shows that a lot of the time it's more about time and resources available, to compete on an equal footing*

(*hoofing)
Certainly in show jumping money is a huge factor, but most racing jockeys come from very ordinary backgrounds starting off as apprentices and working their way up.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Certainly in show jumping money is a huge factor, but most racing jockeys come from very ordinary backgrounds starting off as apprentices and working their way up.

Yes indeed, they do, maybe horsey sports are just more progressive in this way, when they realised that gender had very little bearing on ability.

Although being a jump jockey looks terrifying.

I did a fair amount of horsing about in my youth, but that stuff looks well scarey.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes indeed, they do, maybe horsey sports are just more progressive in this way, when they realised that gender had very little bearing on ability.

Although being a jump jockey looks terrifying.

I did a fair amount of horsing about in my youth, but that stuff looks well scarey.
Women do very well in jump racing relative to their numbers. Being of naturally lighter weight they don't have to starve themselves like the male riders do and because of this are less likely to suffer broken limbs when they do come off, poor diet apparently being a factor in brittle bones. Bryony frost has turned a few of my modest wagers into pleasing wins in the last few years.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Steve Davies, the snooker player, has always championed women’s snooker. He thinks the reason why women have never broken through is because men have the pure, dedicated, selfishness to practice 8 hours a day on a pointless folly to the detriment of everything and everyone. women just aren’t that selfish.
I suspect a woman player in the modern game would give the male pros of the 1980s a good game.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Steve Davies, the snooker player, has always championed women’s snooker. He thinks the reason why women have never broken through is because men have the pure, dedicated, selfishness to practice 8 hours a day on a pointless folly to the detriment of everything and everyone. women just aren’t that selfish.
I suspect a woman player in the modern game would give the male pros of the 1980s a good game.

Yes this exactly, it was a point I made in another thread about guys just being better at 'ring fencing' their time.

If you have someone prepared to look after your every bodily need - and those of your kids if you've had them - whilst you perfect the art of 'whatever it is' then chances are you'll get a darn sight better at it.

Most women I know just don't have those kind of resources at their disposal.

Or even if they do, they feel they first need to run around looking after everyone else too.

Talking of which duty calls... :whistle:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It looks like the slow death of the BDO is almost complete.
It has been second rate for 20 years and the PDC offers better players, better atmosphere and more tournaments.
They decided to move their flagship tournament from Lakeside Country Club to the O2 this year and only 15% of tickets have been sold. Prize money has been cut, players and officials are deserting in droves.
It’s a shame as the BDO championed grass roots darts for years, but I think they are finally doomed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/50952382

I think you're right.

They *didn't* do what the PDC - and snooker - have done.

The BDO is hidebound, overpoliticked, and has suffered from being under the thumb of one man for far too long. Olly Croft refused to move forward and modernise, and now that he's shuffled off the mortal coil, the whole thing is unravelling.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I love darts. It was a shame Price won the final yesterday. He doesn't seem like a bad guy off the oche. I just think all that screaming and stuff is gamesmanship, others do it like MVG, but not as bad. I prefer the guys that just get on with it like Anderson, Smith, Cross etc.

Top Bottom