One Bike Carrier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hi guys

I need a little help, I have a 2006 Nissan Note ( I know...total beast...don't you all be too jealous :tongue::hyper:)

I am soon to have 3 bikes (one is on loan to bf at his house) so actually it is only TWO Bikes. A Specialized Diverge Adventure Cyclocross & my lovely new Allez.

I was contemplating getting another car anyway, but instead I thought it would be cheaper for now to get a bike rack. I had wanted to get a 2 bike rack for the back but I get anxious with too much stuff on there. SOOO I then thought of having one bike on the back (probably the Diverge) and then have the Allez actually in the car with the seats down?

I was recommended the Saris One Bike carrier which seems to have many good reviews. Just wanted to know peoples opinions or recommendations.

Thanks in advance you amazing lovely lot :wub:

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
OH YAY! Another Note owner!! Yeah I was just worried of getting them scratched up and stuff, I do have big blankets to put between them. I always get anxious of taking front wheels off because whenever I did that with my old hybrid it would mess the front brakes up :cursing::cursing:

I do not have a towbar, those racks look much more stable in honesty...

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah it use to wind me up so freaking much! But yeah it might be worth doing it. My parents have a Mercedes Vito van which I am insured to drive so I could always borrow that for long journeys.

Ultimately, its unlikely if it is just me to go to the cyclepark that I will need both bikes, but it would be nice to take both. ARGHH! Yeah I don't really have the money for a towbar right now :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're tall enough to do so i'd suggest roof mount. Next up is towball mount, if your car is thus equipped. These strap on carriers are a weapon of last resort.

BTW, I once cut my hand open on a Nissan Note and had to have 12 stitches in my palm - keep a pair of heavy gardening gloves in the boot, because the plastic handle for lowering the spare wheel snapped and sliced me open.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
If you're tall enough to do so i'd suggest roof mount. Next up is towball mount, if your car is thus equipped. These strap on carriers are a weapon of last resort.

BTW, I once cut my hand open on a Nissan Note and had to have 12 stitches in my palm - keep a pair of heavy gardening gloves in the boot, because the plastic handle for lowering the spare wheel snapped and sliced me open.
Good advice, take Note of this

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
No idea why there's no love for rear racks, I've got the Halfords triple rack and it's very solid... I've taken two road bikes on several hour long journeys and they don't budge an inch. Just make sure to do the straps up nice and tight. Three bikes is a squeeze by the way, but two is comfortable.
It takes about 40 mins or so to fit it the first time, but once you're familiar it's a 5 minute job to fit the rack and put a bike on.
They don't damage your car at all, but if you're nervous of the hooks which fit on the tailgate lip, just put a piece of rubber cut from an inner tube on the lip first.

Less than 60 notes, no need to change cars, no need for a tow bar. What's not to like?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...KU5KxGzmxicQOT38tR3DlefAaO7Tb-qoaAtu1EALw_wcB

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
No idea why there's no love for rear racks, I've got the Halfords triple rack and it's very solid... I've taken two road bikes on several hour long journeys and they don't budge an inch. Just make sure to do the straps up nice and tight. Three bikes is a squeeze by the way, but two is comfortable.
It takes about 40 mins or so to fit it the first time, but once you're familiar it's a 5 minute job to fit the rack and put a bike on.
They don't damage your car at all, but if you're nervous of the hooks which fit on the tailgate lip, just put a piece of rubber cut from an inner tube on the lip first.

Less than 60 notes, no need to change cars, no need for a tow bar. What's not to like?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...KU5KxGzmxicQOT38tR3DlefAaO7Tb-qoaAtu1EALw_wcB

See I did see that one, but it looks quite high and I am only 5'6" hehe.

I think I may stick to the Saris Solo 1 Bike Carrier and the other will go in the back.

Drago

Legendary Member
No idea why there's no love for rear racks, I've got the Halfords triple rack and it's very solid...

I've picked enough squashed bicycles out the carriageway at work over the years to generate a dislike of any strap on carrier. It's even worse with these folk who rest the carrier on the rear window glass...one good bump, ker-smash, carnage.

Modern ones are improving, and if you take great care to fit it properly and keep it off the glass you should be fine. Nevertheless, if you are tall enough its nice and easy to simply clamp it to a roof carrier, and if it does let go the bike is still held secure by the wheels so shouldn't drop off the roof entirely. Also if you do get rear ended your bike doesn't cop it. OK, you could pursue an insurance claim for the extras, but life is so much simpler if you never need to so so in the first place.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you get a low level rear rack you need a lighting board on the back. I have a high mount rear rack which avoids that without having to lift the bikes onto the roof and having them waggling in the wind.

Top Bottom