One bike, winter and summer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredcmartin

My goal is to buy a bike, city street use only, for year round cycling. Winter involves several months of snow and ice. What do you recommend?

the snail

Guru
A hybrid or something else with clearance for wide tyres, and fittings for rack/mudguards. You can swap the tyres for spiked ones if necessary

Brandane

Legendary Member
Something like a Genesis Croix de Fer. A "do everything" bike. Clearance for wider tyres (I've had 32mm on mine, I think you can easily go wider than that); takes mudguards, has rack mounting points......

Here's mine:

DSC01761.JPG

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
First thing to do is decide what kind of handlebar you're most comfortable on. Flat bar like those on a mountain bike and I'd say a hybrid which are often supplied with mudguards and occasionally a rack ready fitted.
Drop bars like those on a road bike and your best bet is a touring bike which are almost always supplied with mudguards and a rack.
Both types generally will accept bigger tyres with snow studs and a nobbly tread. For those, you'll want bigger (50mm+) mudguards.
Both will generally weigh a fair bit unless you're spending serious money.

What they all said, but I don't think the croix de fer has sufficient clearance for me. I would want to run something like 38/42 balloons for comfort (its a city bike) and maybe even spiked tires for winter.

However given its suggested use - I would also want hub gears. Try SJS cycles they may have something.
What is your budget?

Top Bottom