One for Andy in Sig

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was watching Peter and Dan Snow on battles of the 20th century and the Falkland Islands. They covered the battle of Goose Green where Col. H. Jones was killed and his second in command, Major Chris Keble took charge at a critical part of the battle, reorganised the attack, started to outflank the enemy and with breathtaking audacity forced the Argentinians to surrender against a much smaller force.

My recollection though is that the army promptly flew out another colonel to take charge of the battalion. Why on earth would this be? Even if for some technical reason (eg hasn't taken a staff exam) Keble couldn't be promoted straight away, why wasn't he left in charge as temporary CO until the war was over?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The short answer is that I don't know and a lot of people at the time agreed with your assumptions. The bloke who took over from him was parachuted into the sea (if I remember aright - Lt Col Pike perhaps?).

The whole point of a 2ic is that he takes over if the boss pops his clogs. Maybe it was political, maybe it was string pulling. I suppose that's another one for waiting until the 30 year rule papers are published.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Andy in Sig said:
The short answer is that I don't know and a lot of people at the time agreed with your assumptions. The bloke who took over from him was parachuted into the sea (if I remember aright - Lt Col Pike perhaps?).

The whole point of a 2ic is that he takes over if the boss pops his clogs. Maybe it was political, maybe it was string pulling. I suppose that's another one for waiting until the 30 year rule papers are published.

Yes, I recall the parachuting into the sea and the sheer urgency of it, as if the para battalion were completely leaderless and incapable of doing anything until a colonel arrived.

Top Bottom