One of those courses...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Arch said:
Or, now, even....:becool:

one of my better sugestions:biggrin:

Greedo

Arch said:
I went on a course today after work. Communication Skills. It was someone being assessed, using our main room, so we all got a 'free' session.

It was the usual sort of thing - I've sat through a few as a postgrad. She started off giving us a lump of playdoh each, and asking us to model something that represented how we saw ourselves as communicators.

After a bit of thought, and in desparation, I modelled a pair of lips as an open mouth, to represent 'talkative'.

Anyway, after that she got on, and we all sat there fiddling with our playdoh.

I made an elephant. When she saw it, she said it was the best model in playdoh she'd ever seen....:smile: At the end of the session, she wouldn't take it back to squish it, so it's sitting on the office windowsill.

If I have to do any more courses like that, she's going to run out of playdoh!

self praise has no honour as they say

Quite nice of you to go into a course that she was being assessed for and showing your obvious boredom by making a (rather fine it must be said) elephant. Would have been more honest if you stared out the window yawning!! :smile:

mangaman

Greedo said:

Quite nice of you to go into a course that she was being assessed for and showing your obvious boredom by making a (rather fine it must be said) elephant. Would have been more honest if you stared out the window yawning!! :smile:

Maybe you would benefit from a Communication skills course Greedo :smile:

Nice elephant Arch.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Greedo said:

Well, it would have been, if I hadn't at the same time been actively participating in the session. The elephant was purely physical fiddling, my mind was on the subject in hand. (Which was at that stage, the alternative interpretations of words like 'often', 'frequently' and 'occasionally' - the point being that unless you define them clearly, they mean different things to different people).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bromptonaut said:
FFS Arch realised the lips were a mistake and that the elephant was a better representation - what's wrong with that?

To be fair, it wasn't quite that (not sure how an elephant sums up me as a communicator - a bit heavy handed, but never forgets?:smile:). We'd done the exercise, and she said "now you can have some playdoh to fiddle with for the rest of the session" So I fiddled....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Also, I think the lady did pretty well, condiering that a) the laptop and projector refused to work so she had no powerpoint, :smile: the delay thus caused meant she had to cut the whole thing down to an hour from 90 mins and c) we'd all been at work all day, and a few of us were there to make up numbers rather than completely by choice....

There was some interesting stuff, like the definition of those words, and the proportion of importance of actual words vs tone vs body language of any face to face message - apparently the words alone can be 'worth' as little as 7% of the overall effect (depending on the message of course).

Top Bottom