One side of body aching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lincov

Hi all,

I'm trying to up my riding a bit so I'm ready to do 100k in June (nothing impressive I know, but my furthest ride to date has been 30 miles!). I did 24 miles yesterday, and had intended to do further, but my right knee was aching quite a lot. Once I was off the bike it was fine to walk on, but hurt a lot if I bent it over about 90deg. I've woken up this morning and my right arm and shoulder are aching, in a "I've done a good workout" kind of way. Both my left knee/arm/shoulder are absolutely fine.

So any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The bike is new, a warranty replacement, and has been set up fine, though I haven't had a proper fit on it. I rotated the handlebars away from me as I had wrist pain on my first rides, and that seems ok now as my left wrist is fine. It's absolutely great for my normal 5-10 mile trips around town. It's a flat bar hybrid, with flat pedals. I just can't figure out how I'm using one side of my body so much more than the other! My ride was an anti-clockwise loop but can't imagine that would be it?

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Lincov

Lincov

Mods, please could you move to beginners in case anyone can answer there? Thanks!

OP
OP
Lincov

Lincov

Thanks for reply!

I think the saddle and reach are ok, I had the previous bike set up when I bought it and this replacement one should have been set up the same. Also it's the fact it's only one side that's confusing me, if it were both I'd maybe try and get a bike fit if it persists.

I could be rocking somehow, not sure how though? Do you mean side to side?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I believe hips can rock if seat the wrong height. Has this only happened once? Too much too soon?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for reply!

I think the saddle and reach are ok, I had the previous bike set up when I bought it and this replacement one should have been set up the same. Also it's the fact it's only one side that's confusing me, if it were both I'd maybe try and get a bike fit if it persists.

I could be rocking somehow, not sure how though? Do you mean side to side?
can you check? i have my measurements written down.

OP
OP
Lincov

Lincov

Yes, I believe hips can rock if seat the wrong height. Has this only happened once? Too much too soon?
It's only happened once, but I have built up pretty well to this distance and it was only challenging because my knee was sore else I would have carried on (no aches and pains rest of my legs). I have just been on a short ride and I have noticed that my right foot wanders around the pedal more and I have to correct it, whereas my right food says put. I'm wondering if that could be what I am doing wrong, though not sure why it hasn't been an issue before. Maybe I need to get SPDs finally. Thanks for your input.

Top Bottom