One sore leg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've found recently (on my last two rides into the office….actually one in and one out) that my right leg aches considerably more than my left. It aches at the thigh and also a little at the knee and leaves me feeling that I have very little power in it. It hurts more as I start to move away from the lights. Once rolling, it seems to "relax" or warm up and feels pretty much the same as the left.

I don’t generally do any warm up exercises before riding (just get on and go as the ride is gentle to begin with) and complete a 20 mile journey into the office a few times a week (have done for around 11 weeks…without physical issue).

Main question is, does this ever happen to any one else, that one part of your body aches more than anything else and can anyone suggest some good "old skool" remedies

Jonny

jimboalee

I had the impression that in these high technological days of lower than low gearing, lighter than light bikes and super-duper energy drinks, recovery fluids and an internet full of medical advice, there was no need for 'old skool' remedies.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
I had the impression that in these high technological days of lower than low gearing, lighter than light bikes and super-duper energy drinks, recovery fluids and an internet full of medical advice, there was no need for 'old skool' remedies.

:laugh:

Nope, Old Skool is the best Skool...in my opinion.

Not that i wont accept a modern cure, if anyone knows one. (I stand by my principles and if you dont like that..... then I can find some more!!);)

It's probably the road camber. UK roads camber from right to left as you move along them, so your right leg has consistently more work to do than your left. Over time this extra work has aggregated to cause an RSI in the right leg. Try cycling backwards for a week or two, that should cure it.

I can lend you my fixed wheel if that helps.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
I had a similar pain, but mine was due to my right cleat being slightly out of line in its housing, thereby pedalling with a slightly angulated leg.

Might not help, but thought I'd share it with you! ;)

I'll take a look at that tonight....oddly I've posted warnings about this in the past...time to practice what I preach:blush:!!!

Twenty Inch said:
Try cycling backwards for a week or two, that should cure it.

Now that....I would pay to see!!:evil:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
I had a similar pain, but mine was due to my right cleat being slightly out of line in its housing, thereby pedalling with a slightly angulated leg.

Might not help, but thought I'd share it with you! ;)

Well Dayvo...or should I say DR Dayvo.

looks like your were spot on, adjusted the cleat a fraction and "bobs-yer -Uncle" all sorted.

I also adjusted my seat height a little too, to try and take on board Twenty Inches comments on the whole RSI thing, I suspect the change in both position's has helped a lot.

That or I just had a muscle ache that's gone away now...no i'm going with the Dr Dayvo option.

The Dr will see you now!!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Jonny

Careful with putting too many adjustments on the bike at the same time- give your body time to adapt to the changes.

The other possiblity is that you have a slight imbalance in your body physical make up (most of us do) - though could be a weakness in your quad muscles or the knee muscles which are contributing to this. See how you get on with the changes and if it still persists -drop me a pm and I'll think about what other solutions there are.

As long as you pedal at a slower rate to warm up at the beginning then that should be ok as a warm up- would be good to do some cool down stretches when you get off the bike -especially with some of the mileage you've been covering otherwise over time your flexibilty could be affected. Hope the aches and pains sort themself out.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ttcycle said:
Hi Jonny

Careful with putting too many adjustments on the bike at the same time- give your body time to adapt to the changes.

The other possiblity is that you have a slight imbalance in your body physical make up (most of us do) - though could be a weakness in your quad muscles or the knee muscles which are contributing to this. See how you get on with the changes and if it still persists -drop me a pm and I'll think about what other solutions there are.

As long as you pedal at a slower rate to warm up at the beginning then that should be ok as a warm up- would be good to do some cool down stretches when you get off the bike -especially with some of the mileage you've been covering otherwise over time your flexibilty could be affected. Hope the aches and pains sort themself out.

Thanks TT, I will definitely take some time out to stretch down, I haven't up until now but think I should.

I have started (trying) to take it easy on the last mile in or out of work to help with this, unfortunately, adrenalin seems to cut in and beats me every time….grrr

I'll see how it goes and PM you if it persists.

Thanks

P.S Now thinking of putting the seat back down, given your advice...Hmmmm

Jonny

jonny jeez said:
Well Dayvo...or should I say DR Dayvo.

looks like your were spot on, adjusted the cleat a fraction and "bobs-yer -Uncle" all sorted.

I also adjusted my seat height a little too, to try and take on board Twenty Inches comments on the whole RSI thing, I suspect the change in both position's has helped a lot.

That or I just had a muscle ache that's gone away now...no i'm going with the Dr Dayvo option.

The Dr will see you now!!

Glad to have been of assistance! ;)

Top Bottom