One way but not one way ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

Typical of the highways people to add more ambiguity. I would only use it one way (direction of cycle lane arrows) and I would use the road coming back the other way. I think they have done it to allow cyclists an advantage to go against the one way traffic. No need to use it coming the other way.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It looks like you should use the cycle path when heading west as its the only option and when heading east ride in the road as a car would. :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
They've recently put down a load of these contraflow cycle lanes in Shrewsbury. You use the lane to go against the flow and use the road when going with the flow.

I haven't used any of them yet but I shall be very careful when I do because I think it'll take a while for the pedestrians to get the idea of traffic coming both ways on those roads.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
How about my local favourite :

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=pkDByFJFa6EoIfkUp6fAyQ&cbp=12,332.04,,0,1.52

A stupidly short path into a oneway street (going the wrong way naturally) and at the end of the bike path is on street parking bays too close to the end of the path, forcing you to swerve out into oncoming cars.

Luckily the street is fairly quiet, so I always ignore the bike path and shoot the no entry part (especially as this road has a few clubs and the bike path is always 2in deep in broken glass)

Teuchter

Über Member
It looks like you should use the cycle path when heading west as its the only option and when heading east ride in the road as a car would. :smile:
This.

There are quite a few of these in Glasgow city centre for example on the very busy Argyle Street. Biggest problem is pedestrians not expecting traffic from your direction and just stepping out without looking your way.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Argyle St, Glasgow, UK&hl=en&ll=55.85827,-4.256216&spn=0.000002,0.001206&sll=51.190554,0.288122&sspn=0.001343,0.002411&oq=argyl&t=h&hq=Argyle St,&hnear=Glasgow, Glasgow City, United Kingdom&fll=55.858264,-4.256066&fspn=0.000598,0.001206&z=20&layer=c&cbll=55.85827,-4.256216&panoid=RnIkCvbYPKFP_bRQxvLTXw&cbp=12,268,,0,8.61

I haven't used any of them yet but I shall be very careful when I do because I think it'll take a while for the pedestrians to get the idea of traffic coming both ways on those roads.

We have a contraflow bike lane in a one-way street in a part of our town that sees very heavy pedestrian traffic and great care is needed is one is to cycle safely along it. Pedestrians often walk out in front of the cars and frequently do so with cycles because they rarely check for them. With this in mind, I'd say the onus is on cyclists to be aware of pedestrians' failings and ride accordingly. Pedestrians will never get used to looking out for cyclists going the 'wrong' way along a one-way street..

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
We have a contraflow bike lane in a one-way street in a part of our town that sees very heavy pedestrian traffic and great care is needed is one is to cycle safely along it. Pedestrians often walk out in front of the cars and frequently do so with cycles because they rarely check for them. With this in mind, I'd say the onus is on cyclists to be aware of pedestrians' failings and ride accordingly. Pedestrians will never get used to looking out for cyclists going the 'wrong' way along a one-way street..

The one and only time I've ridden a cycle contraflow I was so cautious (only a few weeks into my cycling life) I dinged my bell every 2seconds for the entire 400m of the road to make sure no peds walked out. It worked, I looked and sounded like a tit but it worked.

Top Bottom