Online Bullying / At Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I

Iron Fist

Due to the fact it was my line mannager I just walk out the job. I made sure that I had another one to go in to, so I have hurd from people I used to work with they where at one point going to try to take legal action agains me.

Guess they realied that if they did that surton things would of been said.

WeeE

All the legislation - and all the black-and-white, clear-as-a-bell written contract does no good when it's your boss harrassing you - particularly when they manage to bring economies/cutbacks ito it - because this means their managers will back them up no matter how blatantly outrageous their behaviour is.

Do not depend on a union to help you out; do not expect any rep to come prepared to any meeting. Know what you want to achieve if you decide to fight it. Be warned - compensation isn't actually usually all that much - a few months', maybe a year's pay,if you're lucky - but that can be after months of lost pay.

Know how long any sick pay lasts, and how long you can afford not to work after that. In practice, employers depend on everyone being in debt and unable to see a dispute through financially.

Make sure that if the company refers you to a doctor fopr assessment, that YOU get yourself a copy of not just the diagnosis sent to your company, but your company's referral letter to them. Get it from the doctor directly - companies usually do their best topretend they "haven't got it yet" if it isn't what they wanted.

Remember that you have the legal right to see any and all communications that are about you -- emails written about you as well as to you.

It also includes your entire personnel file (not edited highlights). But do not expect your bosses to either know this or to believe the law on personal data / freedom of information applies to them. HR departments do usually know this, and although they will fob you off endlessly, it scares the bejesus out of them. (In practice, emails about you will never be revealed to you, law or no law; and in practice your personnel file will be carefully culled before it's shown you: but they dare not hang onto combustible stuff either, in case it goes to court.)

You need to decide quickly whether it is ever going to bearable to come back to work; and what you're going to do if you don't return.

All the above advice about keeping records is an absolutely essential first step. Also - if you are ever invited for a "chat" - insist on knowing what the exact status of any private meeting is, and insist on having someone of your choice in there with you. (Be careful of attempts to retrospectively label "chats" as either disciplinary or grievance meetings.)

The Jogger

Legendary Member
If you are in a union, use it. As said gather your evidence , foi or data access request. Is the bullying from a colleague or management?
I have represented many people in grievances and this is something you will have to challenge. Although you are the victim, don't have the victim mentality. Get assertive and get them. If the company aren't following their own procedures, get them at an employment tribunal. They have a duty of care to you!
If you haven't submitted a grievance yet, do so immediately. Good luck and pm me if you want. I'm also a manager and can see things from both angles and know the responsibilities of both in this type of situation.

WeeE

WHat I said about unions - hope that I didn't come across as meaning don't use your union. Use them to the full - and any legal representation your union dues pay for, when/if you go to tribunal.

But you need to know for yourself what outcome you want from any course of action - e.g."this next meeting" and to make sure you discuss that with your rep. And you need to be fully prepared for each and every meeting, and bring all the paperwork; because your union rep may well be winging it. On the other hand, the professionals (ie not the guy in the next office who happens to be the local rep) they're old hands at these sorts of meetings, often know senior managers as individuals, and can be good at steering them.

blazed

220lb+
Its pathectic how weak some people are crying about bullying especially cyber bullying how people let it get to them so much i dont know. Someone is bullying you on facebook close the website and dont look at it, its not hard. Someone is bullying you at work if you dont have the strength to fight back then get a different job theres no need to commit suicide.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bandini said:
My God. I am astounded that this goes on amongst adults at a place of work. Completely unacceptable. It seems like perhaps being one step removed from the victim makes it somehow OK.

Come work with me , there are a fair few that act like they are about 5 and thats in charge of heavy machinery ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
blazed said:
Its pathectic how weak some people are crying about bullying especially cyber bullying how people let it get to them so much i dont know. Someone is bullying you on facebook close the website and dont look at it, its not hard. Someone is bullying you at work if you dont have the strength to fight back then get a different job theres no need to commit suicide.

BEBO even have a panic button ......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8365574.stm

OP
OP
I

Iron Fist

As I said I no longer work for them, I have thought about legal action and look in to it, I can't seem to find any one on a no win no fee bases and I can't affored the legal bills.

I guess he got away with it.

Downward

Guru
Wife had this shoot at work - Bullying and she was downgraded reduced pay and banding.
We went to a no win no fee solictor and the company have admitted they are wrong.

Still waiting for the payout though nearly 1 year on - The company can be very unco-operative giving out details like pension loss etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bullying is very common..at all levels.... I've been at the end of it - it's been a 'get lost then' from me - resigned and got another job...........but the market isn't too good now.....

Doesn't matter what level you are at.....it happens......tackling it is tricky, especially if you are being professional....

blazed said:

One hopes you never get put into this position when you have got a wife, kids and a big fcuk off mortgage to pay at the end of each month - especially in todays job market.

Top Bottom