Online route planner for Plymouth to Cambridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
The Devon C2C was a bit like that in parts. An assault course with a loaded tandem!

As someone that has previously ended up IN a canal due to poor route planning on RWGPS - I know only too well...

steverob

Guru
I prefer route planning with Strava as RWGPS tends to automatically put you on "cycle paths" - no matter how unkept canal path-ish they may be! Even if there are perfectly fine roads nearby.
The trouble with RWGPS is that they don't actually plan routes for you themselves - they rely on Google Maps' interpretation of what roads/paths are suitable for bikes and then just follow the shortest route available that Google's algorithm gives them from there. That's not a dig at them - I can name a whole bunch of other cycling websites that do exactly the same thing, including MapMyRide - and you can't blame them for essentially outsourcing what is otherwise quite a tricky thing to program for.

You can test out my theory for yourself by just sticking down a start and an end point with no intermediates on RWGPS (or your favourite site) with the "Optimise for Cycling" button selected, then try plotting the same points on Google Maps and select to travel by bike and I think you'll find the results to be virtually identical. Then do the same but select "Optimize for Driving" (to avoid cycle paths) and once again it should be the same as Google's directions for cars.

While routing via Strava may have it's own quirks, the fact that they are using crowdsourced data, even if there is an element of segment hunting in there, means it will at the very least give a "different" option to everyone else who is using Google's data and that is to be welcomed.

Last edited:

mythste

Veteran
Actually, the default map is Google - but you can change that very easily simply by clicking on the 'Map' button in the top right hand corner of the map. You can choose:
  • Bog standard Google
  • Bike Path Google
  • Google Maps Terrain
  • Google Satellite Imagery
  • Ride with GPS Maps based on Open Street Maps
  • Bog standard OSM
  • OSM Cycle Maps
  • OSM Outdoor (which has elevation contours)
  • ESRI Topographic maps
  • USGS Topo
  • USGS Scans

We're not talking about the map, we're talking about the route plotting. Which is crap - and seemingly based on google's plotting mechanism (I believe, I haven't verified)

Reactions: mjr

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are roads that more-or-less parallel the A38 all the way to Chudleigh Knighton, then either through Chudleigh and over Haldon, or along the Teign Valley and over Longdown.

steverob

Guru
Actually having just had a bit of a play, if you choose a non-Google map, it looks like RWGPS uses the OSM route plotter instead of the Google one, which I believe is also what Strava uses if you turn off the "Popularity" option on their route builder.

As I said, I'm not having a dig at RWGPS - in fact I use them from time to time to map my routes, as I find their ride elevation estimate to be more accurate than Strava or Garmin Connect (my other two usual choices) - I was just making the point that no matter what site you use, 99% of them are falling back on the same data and mapping engines as each other at the end of the day (as it's too much hassle to write your own), so you'll end up getting very similar results regardless of website.

Reactions: mjr

mythste

Veteran
Perhaps you might want to check before commenting.... you know - not speak from a position of ignorance and all that.

So - if you're telling me that the other maps use different plotting algorithms (I have no reason to believe otherwise!) do they fair any better at not forcing the route onto unsuitable "cycle paths" than the google one?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Much easier to say someone's wrong and imply one is making claims about routing software without actually doing so by listing irrelevant facts like the list of possible maps, isn't it?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Does anyone actually just rely on auto-routing without checking the route and fettling it appropriately?

mythste

Veteran
Does anyone actually just rely on auto-routing without checking the route and fettling it appropriately?

My issue is that if I'm planning a route, it's usually somewhere I havent been before (that's the point of GPS, right? :laugh: ) and as such, it can be difficult to work out whats a busy A road, whats a free flowing A road, whats a usable canal path, and whats not!

I like strava because crowd sourced information gives me a bit of a better idea. I'm a big believer in having as much information as possible!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My issue is that if I'm planning a route, it's usually somewhere I havent been before (that's the point of GPS, right? :laugh: ) and as such, it can be difficult to work out whats a busy A road, whats a free flowing A road, whats a usable canal path, and whats not!
Not ever so difficult these days. Click a section of route on cycle.travel's map and you can choose between streetviews and geograph photos.

I like strava because crowd sourced information gives me a bit of a better idea. I'm a big believer in having as much information as possible!
Trouble is that Strava users tend to eschew even fairly good wide tarmac cycle tracks in favour of unfriendly busy A-roads where they can hit higher top speeds, at least in areas I know best and have checked the heatmaps for.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

That would be a big mistake. As you know Auto routing and GPS devices have a mind of their own and if you don't check the route, you could meet yourself coming back.

Having said that, My Garmin Touring is pretty good at getting me to where I want to be. But not always on the route I would choose.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In June there is a family wedding in Plymouth. Over the following week I'm hoping to ride home.

My first conundrum is Devon. Ain't nothing straight. I think my best bet would be up to Okehampton and then I'm up for suggestions as to routes.

My only wish is for a quiet, scenic route.

I've done this journey a million times in a car on motorways and I'd like to see some of what I'm missing.

What would you advise as my best online planner?

Thank you.
Do you have a Garmin bike GPS_

Top Bottom