Online Storeage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ok, especially after what Paul has just said and considering my location , broadband down the phone line, at a slow pace (back of beyond) I suppose I should go for the external. what size, from what I can remember the hard drive on my computer is only 4gb.

Manonabike

Über Member
Ok, especially after what Paul has just said and considering my location , broadband down the phone line, at a slow pace (back of beyond) I suppose I should go for the external. what size, from what I can remember the hard drive on my computer is only 4gb.

They will be all much bigger than 4gb hence it's up to you to figure out what else you can store there. Bear in mind that photos these days are quite large and videos even larger. Also, having a new laptop might just open new horizons for you and start keeping/downloading more stuff.

I'm was advised to get anything bigger than 1TB with its own power supply. There are external drives that are only powered by the USB connection..... they are nice but maybe it's a good idea not to get one of those that is bigger than a 1TB.

Furthermore, you can buy a program such as Acronis and keep a backup of the whole laptop on the external drive..... if you ever get a virus or have another problem, you can get your laptop back in no time.... including operating system, Applications, configuration, and data.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Your 'sham has a population of 55,000. My 'sham has a population of 20,000 - more if you include the contiguous towns and villages. We're connected by fibre-optic cable.

(Though we're not willing to pay for any more than the basic service)

Estimated 124,000 in Horsham District but no fibre optic for us!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Estimated 124,000 in Horsham District but no fibre optic for us!

I'd contact BT and see which cabinet you're on. Bits of Horsham have had fibre to the cabinet installed on the Horsham Carfax exchange not so long ago. If you were on one of the other exchanges or a cabinet they don't plan to do you may be one of the unluckiest people around though. And of course on BT's site it is listed as 'accepting orders'.

Edit, one exchange to the south called Southwater is also scheduled to be done at some fairly indeterminate time in the future.

Top Bottom