Only 100 cod left in the North Sea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cress1968

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349111255.188575.jpg

97 :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sort of hungry; it's not difficult.

The chippie my Mum goes to serves the most enormous pieces of fish. NT and I can share one portion of fish and chips, and not feel hard done by.

By comparison, the one nearest me appears to serve battered small-fry.

gbb

Legendary Member
Excellent, just shows how people can misunderstand facts..

Fact of the Day: In Viking times, cod grew up to 6 foot long. Imagine that on chips!

Assuming that is true, i can believe it based on what i saw in the 70s.
I used to work in a factory that amongst other things ground up fish offal and waste for petfood. We used to get artic units in, tipped into a bunker, then a Bobcat loader would work his way through it. I'd never seen that much fish at the time, and asked in wonder WTF are those hoofin great fish heads off....:ohmy:
Imagine a fish head, the size of a medicine ball, with huge great eyes ...i'd genuinely never seen anything so big.
They're cod..was the answer.
Jeez, i never knew they were so big, the whole fish must have been 4 ft long easily. I dont suppose there are that many that big any more.

As a kid you make assumptions i guess. I think i thought a piece of cod was the whole fish.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I better get down to the chippie while there''s still some left:hungry:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Never liked cod - if you skin a fresh one and hold the skin up to the light you can see the worms moving.

Now a nice piece of haddock is just grand.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The chippie my Mum goes to serves the most enormous pieces of fish. NT and I can share one portion of fish and chips, and not feel hard done by.

By comparison, the one nearest me appears to serve battered small-fry.

Ms P and I generally share, otherwise even I have trouble finishing my chips. On that subject- what are the chips like? it's so hard to find good chip shop chips. Well it is where I'm from anyway.

I could move I suppose. The best chips I've had were from the kiosk by the grand union canal near Rickmansworth, but they weren't chip shop style chips- too crispy. There needs to be just the right amount of sogginess- it's such a difficult balance.

Give me a deep fat fryer, a bag of chipped potatoes, a calibrated thermometer and a manual on statistical experimental design and I could figure out how to get it just so...

avsd

Guru
The Pit Stop in Kilkeel sold the last 100 on Saturday night. Great spot for a fish supper and won Chippie of the Year prize two years in a row.:hungry:

Typhon

The problem that a lot of environmental issues face is the media - they over-hype the threat and when their hyperbole is exposed people assume the core issue is not actually a problem at all. When it really is, it just wasn't the "world is going to end in 50 years" doom mongering the media made it out to be.

In this instance, the quotas seem to be working and what was a dire situation is improving. But there is still a long way to go.

Top Bottom