Only a number

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I became 79 on Feb 2.

I always rode the distance of my age up to turning 70.I’m not even considering attempting 79 miles in one go Perhaps I should attempt 79 Kilometres.Think I could just about manage that.
Cannot remember his name but a few years age there was a guy from Lochmaben in the Scottish Borders who did 80 miles on his 80th birthday. He did a figure of eight route so was never far from home but when he stopped at his local cafe he discovered that they had baked a special birthday cake for him.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cannot remember his name but a few years age there was a guy from Lochmaben in the Scottish Borders who did 80 miles on his 80th birthday. He did a figure of eight route so was never far from home but when he stopped at his local cafe he discovered that they had baked a special birthday cake for him.
That was a nice gesture!

I got chatting to a cyclist that I met on an audax event in the Midlands. He'd got lost so I offered to guide him if he wanted some company. He was well into his 70s but was very fit; fitter than me in fact, and I had to ask him to slow down a couple of times. He told me that he had a bunch of cycling mates who had retired at the same time as him and they had been riding together 3 or 4 times a week ever since. I said that I hoped that I was still cycling when I got to his age (yikes - only 10 years to go now! :eek:) and he replied that there was a rider 10 years older than him who went out with his group on their mid-week rides. They would pick him up and ride 25+ miles to their favourite cafe, spend a couple of hours there, then ride back. Okay, it wasn't the old rider's age in miles, but it would have been in kms... I'd settle for that! :bravo:

Top Bottom