Ontario case-control study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
:popcorn:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
:tired:...if it keeps you happy, feel free to perpetuate the myth that wearing a helmet will keep you safe. IMO, cycle training, driver awareness, and more stringent policing of road traffic offences are what we should be shouting about. Too many cyclists don't know how to cycle safely on the road, and too many drivers do not understand the needs of cyclists. This you cannot argue about, surely!

OP
OP
C

Cycloslalomeur

I wasn't trying to perpetuate anything at all, just wanted to bring this obviously flawed study to the subforum's attention.

Drago

Legendary Member
:tired:...if it keeps you happy, feel free to perpetuate the myth that wearing a helmet will keep you safe. IMO, cycle training, driver awareness, and more stringent policing of road traffic offences are what we should be shouting about. Too many cyclists don't know how to cycle safely on the road, and too many drivers do not understand the needs of cyclists. This you cannot argue about, surely!

All well and good, but it none of it counts for a bean on the day that despite all this you do still actually fall off and start augering head first towards the floor.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
All well and good, but it none of it counts for a bean on the day that despite all this you do still actually fall off and start augering head first towards the floor.
I have, in almost 40 years of cycling, fallen off one or two times. I'm still here. My head is still in one piece (my collar bones and ribs have not been on a few occasions). The injuries I have sustained have been broken collar bones (x2). Broken ribs (x3). Bruising (ego and torso). The injuries have nearly always been caused by drivers coming too close or not giving me enough space. None of my injuries would have been prevented by a helmet, unless one has been developed to cover me from head to toe. Perhaps I need one of these.

So, I can categorically state, a helmet has not saved my life.

OP
OP
C

Cycloslalomeur

Perhaps we could focus on dissecting the study?

Or trip over your shoelace?

Or trip on the stairs?

Or are sitting in a coffee shop when a brick falls on your head?

Or are siting in a pub and someone hoits you across the head with a bottle?

Or slip in the shower?

Or.........

Drago

Legendary Member
I have, in almost 40 years of cycling, fallen off one or two times. I'm still here. My head is still in one piece (my collar bones and ribs have not been on a few occasions). The injuries I have sustained have been broken collar bones (x2). Broken ribs (x3). Bruising (ego and torso). The injuries have nearly always been caused by drivers coming too close or not giving me enough space. None of my injuries would have been prevented by a helmet, unless one has been developed to cover me from head to toe. Perhaps I need one of these.

So, I can categorically state, a helmet has not saved my life.
And...?

Your point being what exactly?

Not my "point". just asking for a clarification.

Are these head injuries less painful, less traumatic or have less effect on family than those incured by cyclists, why not prevent them as well after all....none of it counts for a bean on the day that despite all this you do still actually fall off and start augering head first towards the floor.

Just wondered if you could explain why these head injuries are acceptable and not worth preventing as well?

The effects of helmet wearing on the head injury rate in Ontario.

Photo Apr 14, 6 17 37.gif

Perhaps we could focus on dissecting the study?

I'm going to have to sit down and read this one properly. Its rather confusingly written so its not clear what they have actually done. e.g. the definition of controls is not given in the text but only in the abstract and the limitations section is just plain confusing. Once I've had a chance later I'll report back unless someone else has done it in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom