Oooooops!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Riding home from work yesterday, the last mile or so is a long slog uphill (luckily!!). Head down, grinding away at it

BANG!!

A car was parked by the hedge, hazards flashing, boot open, nobody to be seen for miles. I hit it, flung off the bike and straight into the boot!

Once I realised I was still alive and that nobody was still around I made a quick exit, red faced:blush:

I have been the laughing stock of my work colleagues today..............

andyfraser

Über Member
The mistake is letting everyone know about it! :whistle:

I could see something like that happening to me yesterday on the long steep climb. Every time I looked up it seemed to get longer and steeper so I didn't really want to look up.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've done it while watching my feet go round!!! Ended up sprawled in the road and a couple with a caravan and a nice jaguar with cream seats brought me home even tho I was covered in mud.
Bloke at work also did it. The woman who owned the car took him home!! He said "it wasn't there yesterday" LOL

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

The mistake is letting everyone know about it! :whistle:

I could see something like that happening to me yesterday on the long steep climb. Every time I looked up it seemed to get longer and steeper so I didn't really want to look up.
Yes! Schoolboy error!

Squid lips

Something very similar happened in my long distant youth , looking back fiddling with a loose wire on a pifco dynamo ,looked back round just in time to have a intimate close up with the boot of an Austin maxi the sight of my surprised face in the rear view mirror as I slid down the rear window must have been a sight to behold :B)

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Something very similar happened in my long distant youth , looking back fiddling with a loose wire on a pifco dynamo ,looked back round just in time to have a intimate close up with the boot of an Austin maxi the sight of my surprised face in the rear view mirror as I slid down the rear window must have been a sight to behold :B)
Sorry but that did make me laugh!!

As a teenager, I virtually destroyed my bike doing exactly this. I can still remember the 'slightly surprised', upside down look of the woman driver as I slid down the windscreen and came to rest with my head on the bonnet. Fortunately, I was so thoroughly not looking forwards that the first I knew of it was when the tarmac became red, shiny, and much closer than it had been, so I had merely a bruise or two :-)

She drove me and what was left of the bike home - with the forks bent back it fitted in the car quite well :-) At the time I recall thinking this was 'nice, but only fair' of her. In retrospect, I can't imagine her car was undamaged :blush: My only defence is that it was an empty country lane 'til she pulled out of a drive and stopped ...... a rubbish defence of course. Took me a lot of early mornings feeding chickens to repair the damage!

I too have done this. I think it is an eye/brain malfunction, a static car that should not be there is edited out of the picture in your brain.
Most of what you think you see is interpolated. Moving objects get scanned by the roving eye, but static objects and ones deemed not important are left out. See "selective attention test"

Top Bottom