oops, I've broken it....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Bad day's fettling for me yesteray: tried to change the cable on my rear brake, and as I was tightening the nut I managed to snap the end of the arm clean off!
I put hardly any force on it (it looked pretty corroded) so I'm guessing this could've gone while I was riding it.
It's a first generation dura ace caliper like this one
Where can I find a replacement caliper. anyone got something useable that they could sell me? since there are exage levers on the bike I'm not precious about a direct [[dura ace] replacement, just something that fits!

sidevalve

Über Member
E Bay has lots of older bike bits.

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
What is it that makes it your favourite? I remember people raving about the braking in the 70's but it was way out of my price range as a teenager (indeed as modern Dura ace still out of my league - nothing changes lol)

midlife

Guru
Hi. I worked in a bike shop from the mid 70's and also dabbled in TT and road racing. I had quite a choice of kit and could also get stuff off the reps. Shimano was the first real alternative to Campag,

Zeus and the like was available but quality was a bit hit and miss. Shimano Dura Ace was really well made, smooth, the cranks and rings were straight, and the anodising was just so milky. The Hubs had a sheriff star type cutout :smile:. Suntour worked as well but just so unpredictable as what they would do next.

All in all a no brainer really. :smile:. I think I have about 5 sets of brakes in my collection :smile:

Shaun

Top Bottom