Oops - just waterproofed some tea-towels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My OH's Gore-Tex waterproofs needed washing yesterday, so I threw them in the washing machine whilst I was fettling his road bike...
This morning, I reproofed them (well put the washing machine on with re-proofer whilst I was out walking the dog)... and have just taken them out of the washing machine to put in the tumble drier and found some tea-towels in there as well...

Not sure a waterproof tea towel is going to work very well...:wacko:

think I should go back to bed personally and perhaps try again later!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wrap them around your head with a curtain tie-back and go out in the rain, your hairdo will stay dry and people will think you are already rehearsing next December's school nativity play.

Peteaud

Veteran
My OH's Gore-Tex waterproofs needed washing yesterday, so I threw them in the washing machine whilst I was fettling his road bike...
This morning, I reproofed them (well put the washing machine on with re-proofer whilst I was out walking the dog)... and have just taken them out of the washing machine to put in the tumble drier and found some tea-towels in there as well...

Not sure a waterproof tea towel is going to work very well...:wacko:

think I should go back to bed personally and perhaps try again later!

1) how do you wash in waterproof? :crazy:

2) whats it called, my jacket is like a sponge?

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
1) how do you wash in waterproof? :crazy:

2) whats it called, my jacket is like a sponge?
we use Nikwax tech wash (to wash the waterproofs in, though cycling waterproofs will get multiple washes because of the oil issues (so normal detergent, wash without detergent to clean washing machine and remove residual soap from garment's, wash with tech wash)) then wash in the waterproofing agent and then tumble dry on low... tech wash tx-direct.

I buy it in 1L containers from Tesco's direct using the collect at store - was the cheapest last time I looked/needed any and works really well. I have his main waterproof top to do next....
http://www.tesco.com/direct/nikwax-...ash-in-waterproofing-2-x-1-litre/215-7604.prd

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I've just counted them... 4 of them have been waterproofed including one of my mother's favourite Laura Ashley tea-towels which I was meant to have returned to her.... big oops... wonder if she will notice? :laugh:
Luckily the rest are all mine and cheap Ikea ones.... I'll wash them a few times and see if it washes out (hasn't dried do there's a chance) otherwise they will have to become bike rags... I was short on bike rags anyhow.

(hey hum... would seriously go back to bed, but need to walk the dog again in an hour and also have to get tea cooked...)
Let your fella do the washing up and drying, and have fun watching his face !
In all fairness to him, he does most of the washing up because of my slight paralysis in my left side of the body. I can tell I am holding something, just not how well I am holding said object. However, we have found suddenly coating said object in soapy water results in too many breakages (breakages are in the range of 12 place dinner services every 6 months, so I don't wash up much anymore - it is too expensive), too many stitches in my hands or too many burns when I can't tell how hot the dish water is... as for drying... that could be fun watching him... (He also does the ironing because we have had too many A&E visits from that as well and after a while they started to separate us to talk quietly to me about domestic abuse!:dry:)

potsy

Rambler
we use Nikwax tech wash (to wash the waterproofs in, though cycling waterproofs will get multiple washes because of the oil issues (so normal detergent, wash without detergent to clean washing machine and remove residual soap from garment's, wash with tech wash)) then wash in the waterproofing agent and then tumble dry on low... tech wash tx-direct.

I buy it in 1L containers from Tesco's direct using the collect at store - was the cheapest last time I looked/needed any and works really well. I have his main waterproof top to do next....
http://www.tesco.com/direct/nikwax-...ash-in-waterproofing-2-x-1-litre/215-7604.prd
How much do you put in?
Need to get some of that to reproof my Goretex jacket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much do you put in?

You read the instructions on the back:whistle:

Peteaud

Veteran
How much do you put in?

Ive an idea....

Lets all pile round to @SatNavSaysStraightOn place and get all our jackets done, whilst drinking vast amounts of tea and coffee. The resulting amount of washing up (after we have all left wearing our stormproof clothing) will destroy all traces of the tea towel water proof mix.

2 birds, 1 stone, :laugh:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
How much do you put in?
100ml per garment, max 2 garments per wash. £15 for the 1L of tech wash (no soap which is seriously important) and 1L of TX-direct is seriously good value.

(The soap thing I know all about because of my 2.5 years spent not obtaining a PhD in organic chemistry which was mostly related to surfactants (i.e. soaps)

Top Bottom