oops!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I fitted my new Shimano spd-sl pedals, I accidentally screwed the left one ( left hand thread) out of true so the pedals is about 3/4 of the way in but of course at a slight angle. Is it safe to use it like that or do I need to remove it and have the pedal retapped? I must say it feels quite solid as it is.

Its not safe ... you will have damaged threads on the crank arm ... you will probably need a new one !

Remove it. You might be able to recover the thread by screwing it in from the other side, to clear the damaged threads. Go gently.
Won't he have to screw the other pedal from the other side as the thread will be going the other way? Yes.....err no...... not sure..... my brain:wacko: is getting confused thinking about reversed threads from the opposite side..... (and I haven't even touched any alcohol tonight) I'm sure someone technically minded will be able to tell me....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Won't he have to screw the other pedal from the other side as the thread will be going the other way? Yes.....err no...... not sure..... my brain:wacko: is getting confused thinking about reversed threads from the opposite side..... (and I haven't even touched any alcohol tonight) I'm sure someone technically minded will be able to tell me....

No, same pedal

... I know what you're thinking though - but no. Same reason nuts don't have a right and wrong side if that makes sense - ie nuts don't become left-hand-thread if upside-down

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I thought I was wrong tbh but i couldn't work out why I was wrong

I had to think for a mo' too.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well, I did fit the pedal from the other side but the trouble is that it doesn't go all the way through so I still can't put the pedal the right way round as the first few threads are out of true. I did think of grinding off the first two threads on the pedal but don't want to ruin it and have to buy a new set. The only way now is to take it to my lbs and hope that they have a left hand tap or longer shaft on a pedal. I am sure I am not the first one it happened to, am I ?:sad:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I should think that a LBS could sort the threads on that and at worse, get a helocoil in there, of course a new crank maybe cheaper depending on what it is you have ?

02GF74

Über Member
it will be the threads near the end of the crank that are damaged and usually screwing the pedal from the opposite side doesn't quite reach those threads.

if the crank is a good'un, you can buy the tap from chain reaction, for £ 7.99 (only know coz somebody had the same problem on another forum).

alternative is fitting helicoil and that may be worth more than a new chainset.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well, I did fit the pedal from the other side but the trouble is that it doesn't go all the way through so I still can't put the pedal the right way round as the first few threads are out of true. I did think of grinding off the first two threads on the pedal but don't want to ruin it and have to buy a new set. The only way now is to take it to my lbs and hope that they have a left hand tap or longer shaft on a pedal. I am sure I am not the first one it happened to, am I ?:sad:
Try a few LBS they may have fitted a new crank to someone elses bike and still have the old left hand crank arm to match yours.

Top Bottom