oops!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
May be worth buying a tap. £7.99 will be cheaper than a new crank and also will have it for the future, left hand one at least. Thanks for the recommendation.

young Ed

Veteran
it will be the threads near the end of the crank that are damaged and usually screwing the pedal from the opposite side doesn't quite reach those threads.

if the crank is a good'un, you can buy the tap from chain reaction, for £ 7.99 (only know coz somebody had the same problem on another forum).

alternative is fitting helicoil and that may be worth more than a new chainset.
May be worth buying a tap. £7.99 will be cheaper than a new crank and also will have it for the future, left hand one at least. Thanks for the recommendation.

@gavroche depending on how good/expensive your cranks are these are the ones mentioned above
just make sure you get the right one for your damaged crank so the left one for you
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Many thanks to all of you for your very much appreciated advice but my problem is now solved.:thumbsup:
I went to my local LBS ( where I bought the bike from) and they kindly let me use their tap for the modest sum of £5.00. It was just a matter of a quick run of the tap through the hole from the other side and hey presto, the pedal now fits like a glove. :thumbsup:
I hope this thread will be useful to anyone else it may happen to. :whistle:

young Ed

Veteran
Many thanks to all of you for your very much appreciated advice but my problem is now solved.:thumbsup:
I went to my local LBS ( where I bought the bike from) and they kindly let me use their tap for the modest sum of £5.00. It was just a matter of a quick run of the tap through the hole from the other side and hey presto, the pedal now fits like a glove. :thumbsup:
I hope this thread will be useful to anyone else it may happen to. :whistle:
good to here all is well now!
i have an odd pair of cranks lying about, only cheap ones mind, that i did exactly the same to and if i ever need them will come back this thread and get the tap from CRC :biggrin: :thumbsup:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom