"Open up countryside paths for people on bikes"

Should countryside paths be opened up for people on bikes?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
my tyre tracks cause no more damage than a pair of walking boots.

A foot is more up and down than a constant circular saw into the surface, forward momemtum on a bike is achieved by dragging the wheel across the surface, walking is the body falling forwards over a planted static foot, even the most extreme of walking boots don't match the tread depth or more sawtooth like pattern of a knobbly MTB, there is more weight of rider and bike combined & you're pressing a tyre down onto a smaller contact point than a foot, condensing the impact on the surface in drawing pin style. The constant ground contact of the bike tyre far more effectively creates the cut channel channel that water collects and sits in to puddle & start the erosive process as it seeps away in deeper more concentrated patterns of tread spots, as well as forcing all and sundry to start creating passing places where it doesn't evaporate or seep away as quickly so eroding and damaging the otherwise solid side structure of the path and hastening its demise. Even without water, the bikes will not follow exactly the same tracks as one another, evwn front to rear wheel on occasions making for more very close set ridges and furrows that it takes little or nothing to break the ridges and destabilise and lose the whole path surface far more quickly. Walking tends to stamp it all down more uniformly over time, keeping the surface integrity for much longer as it inevitably channels out.

Not to say foot traffic doesn't eventually do the same to a path but a push bike does it a heck of a lot faster and a motorbike faster still.

In the same way your circular saw would eventually cut wood if you didn't set the blade spinning, left the guard in place and just repeatedly banged it down onto the wood.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You missed out another option - push your bike for a whole quarter of a mile until you reach the bridleway.
This. I have to so that regularly.

I voted no.

swansonj

Guru
I support a differentiation between paths suitable for cycling (bridleways) and paths not suitable, because of surface condition/erosion or volume of usage, for cycling (footpaths). But isn't part of the problem that the original categorisation into one of the other was done piecemeal, locally, with little standardisation, and is hence inconsistent?

D

Deleted member 23692

I support a differentiation between paths suitable for cycling (bridleways) and paths not suitable, because of surface condition/erosion or volume of usage, for cycling (footpaths). But isn't part of the problem that the original categorisation into one of the other was done piecemeal, locally, with little standardisation, and is hence inconsistent?
Yes. Paths were claimed on historical usage at Parish level in the early 1950's, which is why you'll often get a dead end or change of status at a parish boundary.

Cycle usage wasn't even accommodated in the 1949 Act and it wasn't until the early 1980's (W&CA) that cycles were given a legal concession to use BW's. However there is no duty on a highway authority to main a BW for cycles usage, only for horses. Infact at the same time the use of 'horse' on a BW was further clarified to inclube mules and donkeys.

Maybe we Scots are just better at that "vision thing". The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003.

There are huge issues of land ownership and public access in England. Until, and unless, the English electorate have an appetite for the challenge of those issues (ala Kinder Scout Trespass), I'm sorry, but cyclists' access to footpaths is pretty much a non-starter. It can only be blocked, by the legal structures around landownership.

clockworksimon

Über Member
A lot of footpaths are pretty rubbish or impossible to ride properly on. After trying out lots of footpaths on my mountain bike during quieter times of year I have got this out of my system. Narrow, twisty, muddy paths with lots of stiles are a waste of time to try and ride on. Maybe naively, I voted to be able to ride on all paths. Let natural selection sort it out. Also, whether legal right of way on bike, foot, horse or whatever, showing due consideration and common sense to other users and the local environment is a must.

I will get lynched for this,but here goes.
I hate horse riders,as they seem to think everyone,no matter where,should clear a wide path for them.
It's the smug higher than mighty attitude they posess,the world must stop what it's doing,because "I have a horse peasant".
I know full well you have to slow down or stop so as to not spook the horse,but one of them asked me to put my bike over a field wall once,as the horse "seems upset by it"
Piss off dickheads :ninja:

Top Bottom