Open water swimming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian A

Über Member
I was chatting with a chap at the (indoor) pool the other day. Now, i very much like swimming and having a splash about in the sea and lakes, but i can get nervous sometimes - you know the feeling, perhaps, when you wonder what it is that is below you in the deep and the dark. He said he's been swimming in small tarns in the mountains, here in Norway, and come across skeletons of deer (with horns), and so on. I'm glad he shared that with me.

One of the places I swim is a scuba diving lake. The water quality is excellent and in winter you can see the divers below you. The divers are a friendly bunch so hopefully I won't get grabbed from below as a wind up ^_^.

Ian A

Über Member
Anyone been swimming in the great outdoors this year? If not...

Who's going to be the first?

Regularly through January and November/December last year. I wore a wetsuit, plenty didn't :cold:. Not done any since Feb as I've upped the bike mileage considerably and need my Sunday mornings for that instead..
12508845_10208654068051891_8143154397201015366_n.jpg

Anyone been swimming in the great outdoors this year? If not...

Who's going to be the first?

Me! :thanks:

Winter swimming in the Arabian Sea. Water temperature of 28 degrees, air temp. 35.

https://www.google.no/maps/@14.9774143,74.0373373,4472m/data=!3m1!1e3

From the top of Patnem Beach to the the top of Rajbag Beach most mornings (25-35 mins) and occasionally to the bottom of Rajbag Beach (just over an hour). Have done to the return leg, too, but it takes a long time and my goggles steam up.

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
I took my first outdoor swim this year this evening. I'm such a wuss! The top few inches of the water was 20 degrees C... and i still used a wetsuit! :tongue:

Having said that this was the first time i've used a wetsuit. I was expecting SOME bouyancy but I was surprised that i could just lie there in the water. I swam across the lake (Ulsrudvannet to the cognescenti, about a hundred metres across and 300 long) a couple of times and swam about a bit. I was quite tired (kids are keeping me up at night) so it was a short splash about. Got to get out more often if i'm going to complete the tri i signed up for.

Happy after this evos trip though :smile:

fimm

Veteran
I've been in the local reservoir (with a group) a couple of times now. Wetsuits, of course, but it was still quite chilly...

Racing a triathlon in Shropshire at the weekend, a couple of people near me were muttering about the cold water (it was 15 degrees, allegedly).
"I'm from Edinburgh," said I, "and this is not cold!"
"I'm from the Channel Islands," said someone else, "and it is!"

Top Bottom