Operating one brake with two levers, is it possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

I'm wondering about using two leversto operate one brake, is this possible for me to do?

Thanks

Martin

Will1985

Über Member
Yes it is possible - is this for a fixed project?

There are 2 different methods as well - first, there is the one where your left and right brake levers combine to operate the front brake. I know I have seen bodge methods online, but to start with google showed me this: http://tinyurl.com/ywk33u as the expensive way of doing it.

Then, there is also a method where you can have your STI/Ergo as normal, and then have a flat bar lever on the top of the handlebar with the cable running through as you see here: http://tinyurl.com/2649bp.

OP
OP
B

bianco

Thanks for the reply, yes, it is for a fixed gear project.

I'm struggling to find any "y-joints" at all. Looked on the usual, Wiggle, Cyclestore.co.uk, Chainreactioncycles etc, cna't find any.

Could anyonelprovide a link please, or am I just looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks

Martin

Will1985

Über Member
I thought about this when doing my project, but then decided it would be too much hassle and add to the cost! If you want to keep a "normal" bike look, put both levers on the bars but only wire up whichever hand you feel most comfortable braking with. I have it on the right (dominant hand) which isn't ideal for signalling right turns in this country, although you learn to slow down with your legs enough while signalling and then apply any braking if necessary.

I haven't googled anything, but SJS is another possibility if you haven't looked there.

SamNichols

These bits and bobs are the perfect thing to be having a discussion about with your friendly LBS. Instead of trawling the internet, why don't you ask an LBS if they have one - I'm normally surprised what random stuff LBS's have, and they might well have one, even if it is a bit dusty.

skwerl

are you trying to use both left and right levers to pull the front brake or do you want a lever on the drops and one on the flats?

If it's the latter then the Tektro RX2.0 will do the trick.

If it's the former then why not run a rear brake off the second lever? That way you have braking from either hand and a failsafe (other than your legs) if your front brake goes t!ts up - which does happen.

Top Bottom