Opinions on Goldrush mississippi which i won!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bazhef

Hi,
I'm new here as I hadn't really used a bike since my teens but I recently won the above bike in a competition.
I just wondered what you guys though of it.
More info on it here: http://bmdcycles.com/index.php?rout...s&sort=p.model&order=ASC&page=3&product_id=96
I hope to get back into cycling, more than likely on the roads.
Can I add ends to the handle bars to make it more suited to road racing?
There is a Chain Reaction and also a Decathlon near me so i could get stuff from them if you can recommend anything.
My mate has just bought a Carrera TDF Road bike from Halfords and i wondered how mine will compare on the roads to his.It probably doesn't help that he's fitter than me but I hope to address that by getting a few miles under my belt!
Any opinions much appreciated.

Andrius.B

His Carrera TDF might be 2 or 3 mph faster (which is significant in a race) with the same effort, mainly because of skinny tires and aerodynamic position.

The bike you have got is an OK bike to get into cycling. It is not a road bike, so obviously proper road bikes will have an advantage over yours.
The bar ends might be a good thing, because they will allow you to change your hands position, which can be a very good thing during longer rides. However, if you are interested in road racing (competitive) then obviously you should think of upgrading to a proper road bike once you have got used to riding and get more fit. The road bike will have lighter frame and wheels (hence easier climbs), will have a better aerodynamic position (hence less air resistance, especially when descending at high speeds), and will also have thin high pressure tires, resulting in less rolling resistance which will make your pedaling effort more efficient in all scenarios. In short, a road bike is the way to go if you ride roads.

OP
OP
B

bazhef

His Carrera TDF might be 2 or 3 mph faster (which is significant in a race) with the same effort, mainly because of skinny tires and aerodynamic position.

The bike you have got is an OK bike to get into cycling. It is not a road bike, so obviously proper road bikes will have an advantage over yours.
The bar ends might be a good thing, because they will allow you to change your hands position, which can be a very good thing during longer rides. However, if you are interested in road racing (competitive) then obviously you should think of upgrading to a proper road bike once you have got used to riding and get more fit. The road bike will have lighter frame and wheels (hence easier climbs), will have a better aerodynamic position (hence less air resistance, especially when descending at high speeds), and will also have thin high pressure tires, resulting in less rolling resistance which will make your pedaling effort more efficient in all scenarios. In short, a road bike is the way to go if you ride roads.

Thanks for that.
I dont know how competitive i will get with the road racing, it may just end up more of a hobby, so i think that bike will probably suffice for a year or 2.
Is it a good quality bike?
I've never heard of that manufacturer before and i'm not sure where the ones who ran the competition got the bike from.
In case anyone wants to know it was by the Dept of Regional Development in Belfast as part of a cycle to work initiative so it must have been a supplier over here but i'm yet to work out who it could have been.

Andrius.B

I have never heard of that manufacturer too. However, it should be ok if you don't ride anything rough.
The components are bottom end though, so if you plan to ride a lot, they might wear out quickly, and might simply be a pain to maintain.
I had a cheap bike with similar components a few years ago, and I had to keep adjusting the gears and brakes all the time.
As I have said before this will be a good bike to get you started, and if you will find out to like cycling, then it might be worth upgrading to a proper road bike after some time.

OP
OP
B

bazhef

I take it you mean that from what you see of the spec on that webpage i linked above the components they list are similar to the cheap bike you bought.
I would have thought that as the bike is £250-300 online that the compnents would have been of a good enough standard on a trekking/hybrid bike.
Would the Carrera bike have better components?

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks nice enough. Claud Butler aren't bad for entry level stuff. Slicker tyres may make it a little faster on the roads (I am guessing the standardtrekking tyres are quite knobbly)

It's free so it doesn't really matter how long it lasts when all is said and done. Otherwise, flog on eBay for £150ish and find another £150 for the Decathlon Triban 3 - if you are worried about beating your mate...but you'll need to be fitter too, believe me an unfit person on a fancy light bike is far slower than a fit one on a cheaper heavier bike! :blush:

Hi Bazhef,

Not a bad starter bike to get you going and will probbly keep going for a while as long as it's not hammered.
With regard to converting it to a drop-bar, it'll probably cost as much at the bike itself and the bake levers and shifters would have to be replaced as well as possibly the stem too.

If you're def thinking about going all roadie, either flogging it and getting something like a Triban3 which gets excellent reviews on here and the spec level is great for its price, or see what's on Gumtree/Ebay and get some advice on here on anything you're looking at buying.

Good luck

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Your brakes & gear levers are very different on a drop bar bike, as are the cables & outers.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That bike looks like a reasonable basic reliable general purpose bike for riding on the roads.

You could look at getting skinnier tyres to help you go faster.

I'd add bar-ends to give a broader variety of hand positions at a low cost.

If I were you I would probably ride that bike & enjoy it, with some minor mods as you fancy, before committing to something else. After all, it's not cost you anything.

If you are convinced you would prefer an out & out road bike then by all means bung the Claude Butler up on Ebay, and put the proceeds towards a Triban 3 or similar.

However, I'd say that a road bike is not for everyone and is likely to have a harsher ride than the Claude Butler. So for now, whilst your legs, shoulders (and bum!) get used to being in the saddle you might do well to have a more comfortable ride for the time being.

OP
OP
B

bazhef

That bike looks like a reasonable basic reliable general purpose bike for riding on the roads.

You could look at getting skinnier tyres to help you go faster.

I'd add bar-ends to give a broader variety of hand positions at a low cost.

If I were you I would probably ride that bike & enjoy it, with some minor mods as you fancy, before committing to something else. After all, it's not cost you anything.

If you are convinced you would prefer an out & out road bike then by all means bung the Claude Butler up on Ebay, and put the proceeds towards a Triban 3 or similar.

However, I'd say that a road bike is not for everyone and is likely to have a harsher ride than the Claude Butler. So for now, whilst your legs, shoulders (and bum!) get used to being in the saddle you might do well to have a more comfortable ride for the time being.

You've got it exactly right.
All i intend for this is as a starter until i upgrade in time for something better.
I'll stick with it and just do a few mods.

I have tried searching for Claud Butler Goldrush but can't find anything so not sure if it is a Claud Butler. I know the initial link i posted for this bike said Claud Butler on it but that's the only place that refers to this bike as a Claud Butler.
Do you know for certain if Claud Butler make it?

When you say add bar ends, do you mean the bull bar types or can you get drop bar add ons?
I wont be changing to STI brakes/gears as the cost wouldnt justify it but would like some variety of hand positions as you say.
Thanks for your comments.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Bar ends a little metal bars which go on the end of straight handlebars. Like these.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B003LB4WJ0

They protect your hands if you fall off (!) but more usefully they give you a break from holding the bars horizontally with your wrists turning inwards, allowing you to hold vertically which I find can put less strain on the wrists.

Sorry I have not heard of your bike other than the link you provided... looking elsewhere it doesn't look like CB make it. I have a similar internet bike which I still ride with a child seat on it, it's my workhorse go anywhere bike. Possibly made from indonesian scaffolding poles but gets from A to B OK nonetheless.

OP
OP
B

bazhef

Bar ends a little metal bars which go on the end of straight handlebars. Like these.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B003LB4WJ0

They protect your hands if you fall off (!) but more usefully they give you a break from holding the bars horizontally with your wrists turning inwards, allowing you to hold vertically which I find can put less strain on the wrists.

Sorry I have not heard of your bike other than the link you provided... looking elsewhere it doesn't look like CB make it. I have a similar internet bike which I still ride with a child seat on it, it's my workhorse go anywhere bike. Possibly made from indonesian scaffolding poles but gets from A to B OK nonetheless.

Thanks Arjimlad.
I knew about bar ends like that but wasn't sure if you could get them as drop bars, but im sure these would suffice for now.

Claud Butler got back to me and they definitely don't make it and hadn't heard of that make either!
A bit of investigation on the bike has shown that the bike is imported into the UK by Motor & Sport Cycle Wholesale Ltd, Ballynahinch, Co. Down.
I'm going to call them to find out a bit more on the bike and also see if they will exchange the helmet i got as it is too small.

Top Bottom