Opinions on panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for some panniers to go touring with. They don't have to be particularly robust, just enough to hold together for a couple of months.
I've found two that seem sufficient:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220947393937#ht_1799wt_1163
The rucksack seems a good idea, but some of my friends have complained about triple panniers being unstable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290713525920#ht_2499wt_1396
Not sure how good these will be, but they seem like a good deal.

Any thoughts appreciated :smile: i'm looking not to spend too much money. Thanks :smile:

I'm looking for some panniers to go touring with. They don't have to be particularly robust, just enough to hold together for a couple of months.

I would suggest that if you are going on a 2 month cycle tour that your panniers will need to be very robust. The old addage you get what you pay for is most applicable to panniers and the last thing you want is your kit either soaking or scattering a road side a couple of weeks in.

A good set of panniers whilst initially expensive will pay you back overtime and if you don't intend to use them again should command a reasonable price second hand.

If you decide to buy second hand these look a bargain http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortlieb-C..._Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item3a7478cff4

novanino

I've had a pair of Ortleib panniers for 4 years now and they're in great condition. My stuff stays dry inside, they hold a good amount, the clips and frames are all still in great nick. I'd recommend them. It was a sting to go through with getting them but before that I had a succession of inherited panniers and they were never as reliable. Well worth it if you're going on a trip. And if you'll never use them again afterwards I'm sure you'll be able to sell them on. Enjoy your trip :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As novanino says above...

When it really rains, the contents of a "bargain" pannier Ebay purchase will look like the bottom of a soggy Weetabix bowl. You won't want that.
Buy Ortlieb. Mine are Back Roller Classics, bought four years ago, and they have only let me down when I left one open when it rained. ( They are waterproof both inside and out:whistle: )
It really is worth spending the extra money on a decent pair. Ortlieb.

Have fun, and good luck.

Of the two linked to if I was to make a choice it would be to go with the Barbieri ones. They at least appear to be waterproof and are a known "Italian" brand I believe. Personally for a two month tour I would look around for a known brand/model with a good reputation at a reasonable price.

My preference is for Ortlieb Sport-Packer Plus panniers on the front and Ortlieb Bike-Packer Plus panniers on the rear but there are lower priced options in the Ortlieb range such as the Roller-Classic models. Worth considering in my view.

IMG_25391.jpg

Regards
Andrew

HovR

Über Member
If you do end up getting some lower-end panniers, make sure they have stiff backing. I made that mistake, and ended up with a pannier full of tools in my rear wheel. :blush:

I don't like panniers, but I appreciate why you need some for touring. I'm actually selling a pair of panniers and a rear rack if you're interested. The panniers are 'cheap' ones, but they do seem well made for the money, and the rack is a Tortec Tour.

Just let me know if your interested :thumbsup:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Panniers are somewhere it's worth spending money on. Good panniers frequently last decades. Cheap panniers wont last a week, in my experience...

You look a bit young for someone who' s been riding for decades.:dance:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I agree it's a lot easier with decent panniers. I have some of the Edinburgh Bycycle Coop ones which look like ortliebs but cost a bit less and they work fine (same fittings I think). I also have some halfords ones that are heavy, inflexible and leak.

knitgirl

I was fortunate enough to find my second hand Altura Dryline 32 panniers on Ebay in very good nick and still going strong a year later. And their waterproof. I bought them for £30 and you can get them from Evans for £72. It's worth having a look on Ebay but I would suggest that you do your research first in terms of quality and price and then stick to your budget.

Top Bottom