Opinions on Planet X RT-58 @ £800 please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Easy one you've got a feel of the brakes and shifting

However, do get someone in the shop to show you how double tap works, front and back...not that it's that difficult :smile: Don't want to snap your brake levers off trying to shift with them ;)

HAHA. Thanks, I currently use SRAM RED and I love the double-taps.

I did strongly consider getting a carbon frame (can get the RT-58 frameset with a bunch of stuff thrown in, like bars/tape/etc for £400) and transferring the RED kit over. £800 for the complete bike seems to make that a daft idea.

I also looked at other bikes with taller head tubes. The Giant Defy Advanced is huge (205 for the Large, compared to 170 for the RT-58) but it's £400 more and it's all disk brakes.

The Merida Ride at £839 looks very tempting. May well be a better balance between comfort and performance (190 HT for the Large) - relaxed without catching too much wind. I like SRAM though.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Ride-Carbon-Comp-93-2014-Road-Bike_64957.htm

The CAADX headtube is 160. The RT-58 brings that up a little, to 170, and if I get them to leave me with as much height on the stem as they can then I should be good.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool. It was more aimed at the newbie who's never had a road bike :smile:

Degsie73

Regular
Picked up an RT - 58 (albeit with Ultegra gears) a couple of months ago, couldn't resist the price drop deal any longer! So far so good it's a wonderful thing to ride (although I've only ridden hybrids previously)! Way faster and lighter than anything I've tried before, and I'm no light weight 6'1" and nearly 15 stone! Highly recommend it and was pleased with the service from Planet X

Roger

Veteran
I picked up the RT58 with Ultegra two weeks ago and love it, second road bike but first all carbon. Agree it may take a little time to set up correctly, I am still working on seat aadjustment (front and back and angle). Looking to go for bike fit to get it right. The Campagnolo wheels on mine have a weight limit specified on Campags Web site, might be worth checking what wheels on one you are looking at.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Hi. I currently ride a CAADX for both general purpose commuting and longer rides. It has SRAM RED shifters and front/rear mech, Apex chainset, Hope BB, Shimano CX70 brakes. I started biking to keep fit 4 years ago and the CX type works as a "goes anywhere" model. I've done a few 100 mile rides on it, including the Exmouth Exodus last year. I've built up some maintenance skills and done most jobs on it. It's set up nicely, fits me and runs well. It has guard and rack mounts and I occasionally use panniers when I commute, however I'm just as happy using a backpack and I don't mind getting wet on the way in as I shower and change there. My commute is a mix of road and TRansPennine TRail, but most of the section I use is well surfaced.

In June I've agreed to do the London to Paris with a group from work, over 3 days. I've been thinking maybe I should go for a proper road bike. I'm told that carbon is more comfortable than my current Alu frame/fork because it absorbs more road vibration ? I ALWAYS suffer wrist pain but after a bike fit and setup I don't get the numbness I once did. I also recently tried a friends road bike and was astonished at how much better the brakes are - his were Shimano 105 calipers.

I'm not exactly a racing snake at 15st 8 (ok maybe 9 or 10) and I have lower back problems so a more upright position is better, though I do like drop bars so I can change position.

PX have the RT-58 on offer, with full SRAM Rival kit, except the brakes are FSA Gossamer. £800 seems a really good price and the RT-58 geometry is very close to the numbers from the fit I had at my LBS last year (560 head tube with 180 Head tube were the main numbers I recall).

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RIV22BNC/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-sram-rival-22-bianco-edition

Any comments or views ? I've searched the forums and the RT-58 seems well received.

Should I be concerned about riding carbon at my weight ? I also know I need to be very careful with torque when maintaining carbon frames.

Thanks to the excellent people on this forum, and my own research, I've learned a lot about bike geometry. Still no expert but I know way more than I did when I plumped for the CAADX. The high BB clearance on the CAADX means a shorter stack than the RT-58 (by 17mm) without about the same reach. I think that more relaxed angle will mean less bend in my wrists and that with the carbon frame will result in less strain on them.

PX withdrew that excellent price on the RT-58 with the Rival - it's now Rival-22 at £1300 or Tiagra at £800. I've ordered the latter and plan to swap my SRAM Red shifters and front/rear derailleurs onto it. The Tiagra can then go onto the CAADX which will make an excellent bike for my 14 year old, who's almost as tall as me and about ready (and is more likely to do CX, lol).

sir adrian dangerous

Über Member
For £800 I think I'm just gonna do it. The RT-58 frame is very very close to my measured fit. I've stopped chasing the "one bike does it all" dream. I have a Cube MTB for when I want to get properly off road, I'm happy with a backpack to carry my laptop to work. Figure I may as well switch to a proper road bike and have done with it.

Going to ring them up and ask them not to cut the stem though, leave it as tall as possible so I have plenty of adjustment.
I have a cube mtb, which I think is a great bike, but I bought a road bike a few years ago and the cube never gets a look in any more.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
I too live in Barnsley and I'd say a good 50% of bikes I see knocking about are from planet x, so they must be doing something right.

Do you ride with a group ? I know PX have a group ride but it's Sunday mornings when I'm usually taking my son to Rugby. Just occurs to me the season finishes this weekend so maybe I'll get to join them (by which I mean trail behind).

Top Bottom