Opinions on twist shifters and thumb/trigger shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

For commuting and casual riding in general, which do you prefer and why?

Personally, I've only ever used the thumb/finger shifters, which seem to be a lot more common among bikes than twist shifters. But today I saw a bike within my price range which has a twist shifter. I'm curious about how this stacks up against the more 'regular' thumb/trigger shifters.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thumb shifters. Grip shifts are horrid and mostly in bso type cheapie bikes

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I shall buck the trend as I like twist shifters provided they are good quality (SRAM MRX on my bikes). Don't judge them all by the naff basic ones you get on cheap bikes.

I won't claim they are better than triggers, I just prefer the feel of them. I also like the way that when a steep climb turns into a steep descent ( or vice-versa) I'll have already selected the gear I want while someone with triggers is still clicking their way through the range.;)

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
Personally I prefer friction shifters, especially for the front derailleur, but failing that I do like STI shifters on road bikes and rapidfire shifters on flat bar bikes.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I shall buck the trend as I like twist shifters provided they are good quality (SRAM MRX on my bikes). Don't judge them all by the naff basic ones you get on cheap bikes.
This. I have twist-grip shifters on both bikes, and had to go to considerable trouble to do so on the Brompton. To me, they are by far the best shifters, providing effortless shifting without needing to change grip on the bars.

S.Giles

I think I may have asked this question before, but who decided that commuter-type bikes no longer need mudguards?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Gripshift on my commuter bike. It's just a basic Shimano Revoshifter, 12-32 7 speed on a 36T single, but it's reliable, light and cheap. Been running essentially the same kit for 7 years now!

Top Bottom