opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
im trying to pursuade my new boss to impliment a cycle to work scheme through halfords (i know, bit dodgy but there is only 1 other bike shop in my area!) and am looking for a mountain bike to both commute on (with snow/ice studs for when it gets nasty) and riding the clay trails and a few offroad trails. ive come across this and was wondering on people opinions im looking at a maximum of about £500 all in.

im new to the realms of MTB'ing and like the look of hydralic disc brakes along with the lockout on the air suspension which i think could be handy! im also quite handy with a spanner and sockets so may look to upgrade.

VamP

Banned
That is eye wateringly heavy. With that budget, go secondhand.

I just built a Pace rc305 with Rebas, Hope hydraulic brakes and XT/SLX drivetrain from a mixture of secondhand and new components. All in at 24lbs. £1600 bike for £800. Like you I am new to the world of MTB, but not new to cycling. Building is loads of fun, and a great learning curve. I have now no doubt that I will manage all future maintenance on the bike as well.

If it has to be new from Halfords then look at the Boardman's and the Carreras.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
if it goes through it may have to be halfords but they can source other makes so might look into that!

most of the ones ive looked at are 14-15 KG in my price range almost weiging 50% more than my roadie!

akb

Veteran
The Carrera Vulcun was on my list when I was searching for a MTB. Lots of great reviews and good price too.
I did however settle for a Spesh Rockhopper for £600, on 0% finance. If money is a problem, quite a few LBS now offer a 0% finance scheme.

lpretro1

Don't encourage use of Halfords - you will regret it. Their CTW scheme often includes having to have them service your bike - don't do it. That bike is not very good. As someone recommends - use your dosh to buy a decent one second-hand and then upgrade parts/components as they need it.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
As the general trend, your not gonna get much quality for a bike with the equipment you mention for £500. As for the CTW, I & my family have used it with Halfords previously, not had any problems and apart from the empty headed, vacant looking, pimple ridden oiks on the tills, but no metion of a service contracts has ever been made.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Don't encourage use of Halfords - you will regret it. Their CTW scheme often includes having to have them service your bike - don't do it. That bike is not very good. As someone recommends - use your dosh to buy a decent one second-hand and then upgrade parts/components as they need it.
My firm uses Halfords C2W. They set up the deals and sell you a bike if you want one of theirs. I however persuaded my LBS to become an authorised C2W supplier for Cube bikes, and got one off him.

There are no mandatory service contracts by the way.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I might just buy a light ish hybrid through c2w if I can get it arranged and stick panniers on it then save up to get a half decent hard tail or full sus for hitting the trails!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom