Opinions Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
More information would be helpful:

a) in that area, what are the rules for the bus lane (IMHO, bus lanes are often very confusing, for example, in the area I live two adjoining towns/cities (Newcastle and Gateshead) have different rules for bus lanes.

b) the way and speed at which the car emerged from the "blind spot", ie inching forward until sight line improved, or, accelerate forward, without clear line of sight.

c) was the cyclist distracted (ie on phone etc).

I don't see how the speed limit applicable on the road is particularly relevant, the speed limit is just that, a limit, not a target.

I struggle to see how the cyclist can be deemed to be at fault, another vehicle crossed his/her path when visibility (for that vehicle) was restricted.

In traffic situations as described, any road user needs to anticipate that bicycles/motorcycles, and, even, pedestrians, may be filtering through the standing traffic, and, that lane(s) which are not obstructed may well have moving traffic in them.

Having said all that, we are human, we all make mistakes, in this instance, be thankful that no real harm appears to have been done.

Last edited:

straas

Matt
What if it had been a bus?

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@YukonBoy I feel if you read my posts there is no attempt to blame the cyclist. My lad crossed a lane over the path of an incoming cyclist. He is to blame.

The only point I've made regarding the cyclist is I feel he has some responsibility, a word I interpret differently to blame, IF he was travelling at speed down the inside of standing traffic.

Any vehicle travelling on the inside of standing traffic should be ready to stop. If you haven't observed this then we all have different experiences.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
More information would be helpful:

a) in that area, what are the rules for the bus lane (IMHO, bus lanes are often very confusing, for example, in the area I live two adjoining towns/cities (Newcastle and Gateshead) have different rules for bus lanes.

b) the way and speed at which the car emerged from the "blind spot", ie inching forward until sight line improved, or, accelerate forward, without clear line of sight.

c) was the cyclist distracted (ie on phone etc).

I don't see how the speed limit applicable on the road is particularly relevant, the speed limit is just that, a limit, not a target.

I struggle to see how the cyclist can be deemed to be at fault, another vehicle crossed his/her path when visibility (for that vehicle) was restricted.

In traffic situations as described, any road user needs to anticipate that bicycles/motorcycles, and, even, pedestrians, may be filtering through the standing traffic, and, that lane(s) which are not obstructed may well have moving traffic in them.

Having said all that, we are human, we all make mistakes, in this instance, be tankful that no real harm appears to have been done.

a) as I said earlier we will investigate the road signage and local law

b) my son, as the OP said, moved across from stationary. I don't know his speed but it would be tough to get a little Fiesta 1.0 moving at speed across two lanes from a standing start!

c) I don't know what, if anything, the cyclist was doing.

I gave the speed limit to try and describe the two lane carriageway in an urban area. To say, for example, dual carriageway would be misleading.

The cyclist was not at fault but as you say in these conditions any road user should be exercising caution.

Agreed, nothing more serious than a broken fork and dented door is a thankful outcome.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@YukonBoy I feel if you read my posts there is no attempt to blame the cyclist. My lad crossed a lane over the path of an incoming cyclist. He is to blame.

The only point I've made regarding the cyclist is I feel he has some responsibility, a word I interpret differently to blame, IF he was travelling at speed down the inside of standing traffic.

Any vehicle travelling on the inside of standing traffic should be ready to stop. If you haven't observed this then we all have different experiences.

You do not know what speed the cyclist was doing or whether it was appropriate. So it's a pretty big IF. The facts as covered, leave no blame at the cyclist for riding down a clear lane.

The argument the cyclist was going too fast has been used by far too many motorists for blaming the cyclist when they didn't look and pulled out from a junction causing the cyclist injury. Let's not follow the same path.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You do not know what speed the cyclist was doing or whether it was appropriate. So it's a pretty big IF. The facts as covered, leave no blame at the cyclist for riding down a clear lane.

The argument the cyclist was going too fast has been used by far too many motorists for blaming the cyclist when they didn't look and pulled out from a junction causing the cyclist injury. Let's not follow the same path.
Please read what I have written. In particular note IF. I'm not following any path. I asked for opinions and received some good ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Many thanks for the useful opinions and some good points I had not considered.

As this is now heading in a direction I anticipated, and I considered before posting, I'll not be posting again in the thread.

Again thank you.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
FWIW: When I find myself being the driver stopped at a junction with a bus/cycle lane to my left, I keep an eagle eye in my nearside mirror for approaching cyclists. While I never signal anyone to cross my path, I will keep my finger near the horn button to warn any crossing drivers that there's a cyclist coming.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Certainly worth checking the bus lane restrictions.

As @BoldonLad says, on our patch we have some that are strictly bus only, and others that are open to cyclists and taxis.

In Sunderland there are some no car lanes, which are what they say, anything that isn't a car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cyclist going over the bonnet and snapped fork suggest he was travelling at speed.

Doesn't suggest speed to me, just a sudden coming to a stop. I snapped my spine at 13mph (GPS logged) - bike was fine as that catapulted, I just stopped. That fork will crumple - side impact, not designed for it.

Unfortunately, it's your son's fault as he was turning across lanes - unfortunate but that's how it is.

See what the cyclist says and offer to pay for damage - forks, bar tape, wheel truing etc).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It would have been visible.
Would it? I thought the vehicles were high-sided and prevented visibility.

As this is now heading in a direction I anticipated, and I considered before posting, I'll not be posting again in the thread.
Well that seems a bit rude! I hope you wouldn't mind just clarifying the above contradiction.

Top Bottom