Opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Just changed my chain and cassette, I always count the amount of links as per the old chain as my preferred method when sizing the new one, but this time I had a brainstorm and didn’t leave an open link at one end for connecting, so had to take another link out. So basically my new chain has 52 links compared to the old at 53 links. I can’t see it being a major issue. Gave it a wee test run and all good. Thoughts ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So long as you can get big big without jamming, and small small withoug sag, it's OK. Not that you do that, but it's there just in cse.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Image of drive train with chain on large - large taken from the side will soon tell. Cage (line joining jockey wheels c-c) should be no higher than 4:30. Any less (straighter) is too short. Can add another link back in with additional quick-link.
The difference will be very very (very) small one inch.
FTFY (>1.9%)

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Depends. Maybe the old one was too long or the new one is too short? Or maybe you're mathematically ideal length is in-between sizes and both are good?

Pictures would be nice. Or give us the size of the cassette and chainrings (i.e. number of teeth) and chainstay length - then we can calculate.

Top Bottom