Opinions sought from cycling commuters on workplace facilities for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would add also that the room needs constant low level ventilation, maybe with humidistats, to remove the warmed moisture. Might keep down any odour, too. Envirovent do fans like this for domestic use, can't believe there's nothing similar for larger rooms.

Milzy

Guru
We have a bike2work scheme but they have closed the drying room because they don't want anybody sitting in there with food. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
L

Londonbiker

Regular
Where I work, we have basement secure bike parking, a permanent locker and free showers and towels. I reckon if you are serious about promoting cycling that's the bare minimum you should be providing. It's common for people to bring clothes in on Monday for the week and I also need somewhere for toiletries (cleansing, makeup, hair) so a permanent locker is essential. I do have a locker in my office but it's a trek to the lift and then up a few floors so not really practical. We also have a drying room, but I only went in there once. It was rammed with stuff that people had left and never returned for and it stank to high heaven. If my jacket is wet, I'll dry it on the back of my office chair I'm afraid.

I do like the idea above about having lockers with usb sockets for charging lights. We have those in our office lockers and it's really useful. It would be great to have a track pump too, although I carry tools, a pump and a spare tube with me. I'm not sure I care for these things so much though that I'd pay extra. Bike washing / servicing would be worth it though as I keep my bike stashed at a mainline station so rarely have the opportunity to clean / maintain it.

One thing I'd say is ensure the access to the bike racks is reliable. We have two lifts in our building, but one has been out of service for several months. The other has been out of order twice in recent weeks, causing chaos. I've had to carry my bike down several flights of stairs and squeeze it into a small service lift to get it back up again. A guy from another office in our building had to leave his motorbike there the other week because there was no way to get it out :rolleyes:.
Hi Gekko21 - Thank you so much for the very useful information - Lots of things to take note of and willbear them all in mind

OP
OP
L

Londonbiker

Regular
Our drying room gets cleared out once a month as well. Seems to work out fairly well, most people clear out their stuff so the room can be cleaned.

Only annoying times are when there is a torrential downpour in the morning and the room becomes cluttered with non-cyclists/gym users' drenched coats/umbrellas/bags/shoes etc and absolutely stinks.
ManiaMuse - Thanks for the advice and the tips - very useful

OP
OP
L

Londonbiker

Regular
if we are talking Carlsberg style facilities, how about some Brompton sized lockers?
Such a great idea Jay clock thanks for bringing this to the table - We have considered hiring Brompton Bikes but to have lockers for existing owners is also something to consider - This is why I knew this would be the perfect place for information and inspiraton

si_c

Guru
I think the bare minimum that you need to provide is secure cycle storage, free showers and lockers suitable for storing belongings in.

There are two categories of cycle commuter you need to cater for, the casual commuter who rides on those days where the weather is nicer or in summer where it is warmer even if wet. For these commuters the facilities you already offer are plenty good enough. If you are looking at developing a revenue stream to ensure the sustainability of the facilities then might I suggest you target the hardcore commuters.

These are the ones who ride in every day regardless of the conditions and might be willing to pay for additional facilities. I'm thinking a monthly fee which might give an allocated locker which is theirs and in which they could keep an entire week's wardrobe, as well as permanent access to a drying room (you could let others use this for a nominal fee - say £1 a day). You could also include power to the lockers to allow people to charge their phones/bike computers/lights.

One other paid service that you could offer might be a bike wash service - if you already have a bike workshop in the building this could be something that they could do on their quieter periods. I know for myself during winter I have to wash my bike at least once every couple of weeks and more often during really wet weather. During winter this is harder due to the dark evenings and reduced daylight at the weekend means I don't always have the time to do it.

OP
OP
L

Londonbiker

Regular
I think the bare minimum that you need to provide is secure cycle storage, free showers and lockers suitable for storing belongings in.

There are two categories of cycle commuter you need to cater for, the casual commuter who rides on those days where the weather is nicer or in summer where it is warmer even if wet. For these commuters the facilities you already offer are plenty good enough. If you are looking at developing a revenue stream to ensure the sustainability of the facilities then might I suggest you target the hardcore commuters.

These are the ones who ride in every day regardless of the conditions and might be willing to pay for additional facilities. I'm thinking a monthly fee which might give an allocated locker which is theirs and in which they could keep an entire week's wardrobe, as well as permanent access to a drying room (you could let others use this for a nominal fee - say £1 a day). You could also include power to the lockers to allow people to charge their phones/bike computers/lights.

One other paid service that you could offer might be a bike wash service - if you already have a bike workshop in the building this could be something that they could do on their quieter periods. I know for myself during winter I have to wash my bike at least once every couple of weeks and more often during really wet weather. During winter this is harder due to the dark evenings and reduced daylight at the weekend means I don't always have the time to do it.
Thanks Si_C it seems we are speaking the same language and I really appreciate all the information that you have given us and we will certainly be taking this on board

Top Bottom