Opinions sought from cycling commuters on workplace facilities for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would be really grateful for some feedback from anyone who cycles into work. I am involved with the opening of a new building in London that will have a large number of cycle parking spaces (over 1,000) plus showers and lockers. All will be available free of charge to the building occupiers and visitors. However we want to introduce some add on services for a small fee that will really make cycling to work a pleasure. (There will be a separate repair shop for bikes.)
We have thought about for example offering provided towels for showering, permanent lockers in the bike area rather than day lockers, bike cleaning service, drying area etc. What other ideas do you have? What would you love to see.
As well as your ideas for what is wanted, could you let me know how much would be a reasonable amount to pay for your ideas. We do not want to make a profit but simply cover any costs incurred.
It is our intention to really make cycling to work an attractive option for everyone based at this building so really appreciate your help in us getting this right.
Thank you.

Alberto Balsam

I'm very lucky at my workplace. We have excellent facilities. Showers, Lockers, hanging racks, drying room or De-humidifier cabinets, hair dryer. We even have shower gel supplied for free. Incredibly some folk still moan about it...

Slioch

Guru
One of my previous workplaces had drying cabinets which were great on wet days, but we were the only employer in that building and there were only 5 or 6 of us who used them.

I would imagine in a larger building where there are multiple companies & potentially hundreds of cyclists, there would be a bigger risk of stuff getting nicked, and in that situation I probably wouldn't want to use them. Nothing worse than going home on a cold wet night to find your Castelli jacket has been nicked (or Aldi jacket, in my case :blush:).

Providing 100% undercover cycle storage would be good though. My current workplace has a mix of open and undercover, and there is always a bit of a bun fight to get the last undercover space.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Emergency work shirts / trousers. I've sometimes reached the office to realise I have no clean shirts or trousers left at work.

Built in shower gel dispenser so don't need my own.

As above drying cabinets.

Shopping wire baskets, locker sized, so you can carry your gear round whilst getting sorted before your working day.

Track pumps like the ones you see wired up outside.

Inner tubes and repair kits , mechanics gloves, basic battery lights, and chain oil in vending machines.

Permanent lockers ought to be free if the user can show a certain amount of regular usage. Let's encourage cycling.

If workers are hot desk img and also have laptops they may want a perm ant secure locker for that. No need to take laptop,/ work home.

I tend to cycle in out of work with a set of work clothes for an entire week. So only once a week. This makes the rest of the days pretty easy with just my lunch and usual repair kit onboard.

RFID tags and suitable scanners so workers can get through to bike parking without needing a third hand.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
At our place, there’s a cycle storage facility in the basement car park area. It’s a large “cage” with racks inside, about the size of 10 car parking spaces. CCTV, swipe card access. Several similar facilities at other locations on the site, as well as some outdoor racks.

There’s also a repair station - work stand, tools, and a vending machine that sells tubes etc.

Showers are elsewhere, and lockers are in each individual department, near desks.

Not every building has showers (the bike storage spaces are to serve several buildings). We also have a large sports centre, which is for members only. But cycle commuters can get a free “shower pass” for the sports centre, which allows them to use the changing facilities and showers.

Mike_P

Guru
Get the bike shed right! Moved to a new office building which has a "well ventilated" bike shed. Problem is the high level gaps depending on the angle of rain mean the bikes down one side get a soaking. Needs some angled sheeting to allow ventilation whilst keeping the rain out but trying to explain that to those in charge is :banghead:

Slick

Guru
I have cycled to work for some time now and have pretty much created a near perfect environment for commuting. I have a heated indoor space for my bike in which I have a 4 drawer lockable filing cabinet and a double combination locker. There is a gym that nobody really uses so I get free use of that as well. To make it much easier than that would be asking a real lot but fresh towels every day would be amazing and I would pay a few quid to get the salt washed of my bike in the winter for sure.

bruce1530

Guru
I think BREEAM is making a difference, at least for new builds or major refurbishments.

BREEAM is a sustainability standard - companies get a score based on how sustainable their building is. Part of this is down to construction materials and design, and part of it is based on the building facilities. (gross oversimplification - sorry!)

Companies like the kudos of having a building that is scored “Outstanding” or “Excellent” rather than just “Very good” - and achieving high BREEAM may also be a planning requirement.

So what’s that got to do with cycling? Well, you get 1 BREEAM point if you have “sufficient” cycle storage spaces - the numbers vary from sector to sector, but typically at least 1 space for every 10 employees. (or for schools etc, it’s per 10 staff+student).
You also get a second point if you provide at least 2 of Showers/Lockers/Changing/Drying facilities.

https://www.breeam.com/BREEAMUK2014SchemeDocument/content/07_transport/tra03.htm

You also get points for NOT having too many car parking spaces!

OP
OP
L

Londonbiker

Regular
I'm very lucky at my workplace. We have excellent facilities. Showers, Lockers, hanging racks, drying room or De-humidifier cabinets, hair dryer. We even have shower gel supplied for free. Incredibly some folk still moan about it...
Thank you Alberto.
can I ask if there are any specific moans that I could perhaps addressat planning stage.

OP
OP
L

Londonbiker

Regular
One of my previous workplaces had drying cabinets which were great on wet days, but we were the only employer in that building and there were only 5 or 6 of us who used them.

I would imagine in a larger building where there are multiple companies & potentially hundreds of cyclists, there would be a bigger risk of stuff getting nicked, and in that situation I probably wouldn't want to use them. Nothing worse than going home on a cold wet night to find your Castelli jacket has been nicked (or Aldi jacket, in my case :blush:).

Providing 100% undercover cycle storage would be good though. My current workplace has a mix of open and undercover, and there is always a bit of a bun fight to get the last undercover space.
Thank you Slioch. Good point about drying cabinets so these would need to be managed by staff members rather than free access. Do you think most cyclists would use if available?
All of our storage will be inside.

OP
OP
L

Londonbiker

Regular
Emergency work shirts / trousers. I've sometimes reached the office to realise I have no clean shirts or trousers left at work.

Built in shower gel dispenser so don't need my own.

As above drying cabinets.

Shopping wire baskets, locker sized, so you can carry your gear round whilst getting sorted before your working day.

Track pumps like the ones you see wired up outside.

Inner tubes and repair kits , mechanics gloves, basic battery lights, and chain oil in vending machines.

Permanent lockers ought to be free if the user can show a certain amount of regular usage. Let's encourage cycling.

If workers are hot desk img and also have laptops they may want a perm ant secure locker for that. No need to take laptop,/ work home.

I tend to cycle in out of work with a set of work clothes for an entire week. So only once a week. This makes the rest of the days pretty easy with just my lunch and usual repair kit onboard.

RFID tags and suitable scanners so workers can get through to bike parking without needing a third hand.
Thank you very much. This is super helpful. Like the idea of spare work clothes. Also the wire baskets. Also the vending machine with spares etc is a great idea. have you ever seen one anywhere?

Top Bottom